The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Coolant Leak Numpty Questions! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=309291)

phenonix 17th November 2020 23:44

1 Attachment(s)
Further inspections .
I mopped up all that pooling of coolant and ran the car again.
The pooling was under Kaiser’s casing but the pooling did not come back straight away, small bit after a while though.
There was an area that dripping started immediately I started the car, I can see this is dropping onto top a/c pump etc.
Hard to describe but it is directly above the a/c pump.
It was difficult to photo, I had to squeeze the phone in.
Also hard so see where it is coming from though.
Any suggestions?
Do I need to take more engine bits off to see?

phenonix 18th November 2020 00:33

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe a clearer photo, torch shining on it.

It runs 18th November 2020 04:31

If I need to search the merky depths of a cluttered engine bay I wait until dark and using an led torch with a small telescopic inspection mirror you will see much more . With a torch in the dark,
Warm up engine switch off . Remove key
Gloves and eye protection and have a good look
All the best

SD1too 18th November 2020 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by phenonix (Post 2848890)
The pooling was under Kaiser’s casing ...

Hello Joe,

This is interesting. From your photographs you appear to have a classic case of 'O' ring leakage into the 'V'. This is what happens with the plastic pipes and thermostat housing but nobody has yet had the same trouble with Kaiser's metal version.

If you grasp the large diameter hose just before its connection to the top of the thermostat housing and give it a good tug back and forth, can you see any of Kaiser's parts moving or rocking?

Simon

trikey 18th November 2020 07:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2848912)
Hello Joe,

This is interesting. From your photographs you appear to have a classic case of 'O' ring leakage into the 'V'. This is what happens with the plastic pipes and thermostat housing but nobody has yet had the same trouble with Kaiser's metal version.

If you grasp the large diameter hose just before its connection to the top of the thermostat housing and give it a good tug back and forth, can you see any of Kaiser's parts moving or rocking?

Simon

Hi Simon,

I have experienced the leaking from Kaisers metal stat on my Dorchester red when it was owned by Shadysadie.

I could not get the base of the stat to seal as it would weep on occasion, we tried two metal stats, and the symptoms were the same with both.

The port in the block was checked and found to be ok.

phenonix 18th November 2020 07:20

Hi Simon,
I’ll get onto that, would the V still fill up with coolant when I run the car?
I ask this because with the car running I watched where the puddles were with a torch but saw no leakage near Kaiser’s casing, but there was a constant coolant drip above the a/c pump area.

SD1too 18th November 2020 07:28

Hi Joe,

Coolant in the 'V' really can only come from the 'O' rings. In the front right hand corner of the 'V' there is a gap through which pooled coolant can escape downwards. When this happened to me I saw drips in the oil filter area but water can get anywhere given the chance!

Please let us know whether you can detect any movement as I described.

Simon

SD1too 18th November 2020 07:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2848914)
I could not get the base of the stat to seal as it would weep on occasion ...

Thanks Andy, that's very interesting. I currently have fitted a genuine X-Part 'stat housing which has been improved by the addition of three supporting legs at the base. It's possible that Nanjing or SAIC commissioned this but whoever it was clearly identified that there was a problem with movement.

Simon

phenonix 18th November 2020 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2848912)
Hello Joe,

Simon

Just gave that pipe a tug, and Kaisers part is rock solid.

As mentioned this coolant exploration will all be new to me, this is the first time i have visually even seen Kaiser part in situ, so please bear with me.

To confirm its the hose with the bleeder screw on it?
I could see it connected to Kaisers part with a jubilee clip.

Also area were i had cleaned up the pooled coolant is still bone dry, including below and behind the alternator, if that indicate's anything?

phenonix 18th November 2020 07:50

Is it a lot of work to take more parts off the top to get a closer look of where the leak is coming from?