The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   The youth of today (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=313204)

SCP440 29th May 2021 15:26

The youth of today

I am not sure if it just me but why do the youth of today seem to have a lack of sense of humour.

I was telling a joke to the wife's son last night and he looked at me as if I had grown a second head. The wife and I thought it was funny, when he had left we realised none of the young we come into contact with laugh or tell jokes.

Please tell me I am wrong. I always thought the British had a great sense of humour.

stevestrat 29th May 2021 15:34

If you'd posted it on FB he'd have thought it was hilarious.

wraymond 29th May 2021 16:35

Er, it might depend a bit on the joke Steve? On the other hand, you are after all an adult. That's a foreign land. And juvenile minds are unfathomable, deliberately.

SCP440 29th May 2021 21:07

We were explaining to our children ( they are all in there late 20s) about Love they Neighbour. I found it on You Tube and played an episode, you have never seen 4 jaws hit the floor so quickly. When we told them that was Saturday night viewing they were even more shocked.

We have to be careful about what we say in front of them as we get accused of being sexist, racist or biased. With health and safety and the lack of humour I think the future looks bad.

Also I find it odd that most youths seem to have there devices on silent most of the time, I was trying to get hold of one of my sons, I had rung him 4 times with no answer and in the end I rung his brother and he passed me across to him as they were together, ''he hadnt looked at his phone''.

I am glad I am not young, yes it would have some advantages but I am glad I am in my 50's, I can laugh, I can hang off a ladder with no ear defenders on and when my phone rings I answer it or at least ring back when I can.

Simondi 30th May 2021 07:13

It's funny how we all have different experiences.
My 19 year old son and his pals are always telling jokes and having a laugh. Some are funny, some are not. That's the thing with humour what makes one person split their sides over can cause another person to scratch their heads.
Personally I think that's a good thing

Odd Job 30th May 2021 08:54

I agree with much which has been said above.

Slightly different, but down to what was acceptable and what isn't now.

Me and my wife the other evening watched E.T. the extra terrestrial.
A classic children's sci-fi film. What could possibly be wrong by today's standards in that you might ask? Well. The part where Elliot has to be collected from school and the mum leaves her 5 year old daughter at home saying "You will be OK, wont you?"

Yes, it's a film. Yes it's fantasy.
But today even film makers have to be careful not to show things like this in movies.

We live in strange times. People get offended by what you have in your sandwich let alone political views.

macafee2 30th May 2021 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odd Job (Post 2883979)
I agree with much which has been said above.

Slightly different, but down to what was acceptable and what isn't now.

Me and my wife the other evening watched E.T. the extra terrestrial.
A classic children's sci-fi film. What could possibly be wrong by today's standards in that you might ask? Well. The part where Elliot has to be collected from school and the mum leaves her 5 year old daughter at home saying "You will be OK, wont you?"

Yes, it's a film. Yes it's fantasy.
But today even film makers have to be careful not to show things like this in movies.

We live in strange times. People get offended by what you have in your sandwich let alone political views.

goodness knows what they would make of the name of the Black Labrador in the film the Battle of Britain, I understand his name has also been removed from the memorial. Should I be saying what the dogs name was, you probably know, would I be breaking a rule by adding his name?

macafee2

wraymond 30th May 2021 13:53

Exactly. What a load of cobblers as we used to be able to say. One of my favourite first books (circa 1950) was Black Beauty by Anna Sewell. The lady would by now suffer a death similar to Joan of Arc. Never mind Uncle Tom's Cabin, my second literary adventure and much enjoyed about how 'foreigners' lived.

How long before the Jolly Roger is banned for abusive calling out of revellers after a party? What would self-respecting Pirates think?

It's about time these idle activists got a life of their own and woke up.

SCP440 30th May 2021 14:07

An Elvis Costello song Olivers Army was on the radio in the week and I noticed a word had been missed out ''one more widow, one less white n****r''. Sorry I think this is crazy, when is all this craziness going to stop?

As I said I am glad I am not young.

wraymond 30th May 2021 16:43

For me, the most distressing thing about all this nonsense is not what some immature or elderly Uni bod preaches. It's more the blackmail used to threaten funding of public bodies so that they are forced to 'take a view' from a false perspective or risk an online hate torrent.

Or at best 'cancelling' for something somebody else doesn't like. The Police, teaching at all levels and Sport, and using the already overused 'mental health' bandwagon, are all victims who have to decide to pass the imposed false dogma on to their members and employees. A prime and controversial example? Taking a knee, started by US fanatics and copied everywhere. The medium that promulgates this aberration? Answers on a stamp.