The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Should I replace entire front suspension? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=313430)

MissMoppet 9th June 2021 13:54

Should I replace entire front suspension?

I run 2 R75s: a diesel Tourer (142K miles) and V6 (90K). Both engine wise run extremely well, the only difference is in the suspension bangs, rattles and thumps on the Tourer though most of the parts incl top mounts have been replaced over the years (lost track of how many drop links.)
I am fortunate in being able to compare the ride in both cars and though the V6 has skinnier tyres it does not suffer from the same rattles and thumps.
As I intend keeping both as long as I can I am thinking of starting again and replacing the entire front suspension inc dampers and top mounts. I think others have also been in this situation but your comments would be much appreciated.
I don't think I'm alone if I say that the suspension in the R75 is the major weak link in its design and performance.

(I see that DMGRS offer a complete kit minus the dampers at £290,plus fitting of course which I would pass on to my usual local village garage.)

Dave

COLVERT 9th June 2021 18:22

If the front dampers are old it's quite likely they are contributing quite a lot to the overall noise.--:eek:

However, if you have deep pockets then go for the lot and make yourself happy.---:D:D:D

SD1too 10th June 2021 08:50

Hello Dave,

I agree with Jon that you should look first at the shock absorbers/dampers. Try comparing the ease of compression and rebound between your tourer and your V6. That might reveal a clue.

Incidentally I couldn't disagree more with what you said about the Rover 75 suspension. Mine is supremely comfortable, but then I don't have fashionable ultra low profile tyres which give a harder ride. What's more, every woman who travels in the passenger seat remarks what a nice car it is and one of those owns a BMW! :D

Simon

MissMoppet 10th June 2021 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2885697)

What's more, every woman who travels in the passenger seat remarks what a nice car it is and one of those owns a BMW! :D

Simon

But what do they say in the back seat?

STUBIE 10th June 2021 19:28

I've recently replaced rear springs and front shocks, shock tops, springs and drop links and now looking at a brake overall with front and back disks and pads as well as handbrake shoes in a few weeks time by Lates and Pete in Rugby.
If we want to keep these cars on the road, regular upkeep is essential but this can be done fairly cheaply by DIY or getting the parts yourself and getting quality mechanics to fit them.

Stubs

COLVERT 11th June 2021 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMoppet (Post 2885764)
But what do they say in the back seat?

Possibly------------

HELP !!!!!!!!!!------------;););)

COLVERT 11th June 2021 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by STUBIE (Post 2885810)
I've recently replaced rear springs and front shocks, shock tops, springs and drop links and now looking at a brake overhaul with front and back disks and pads as well as handbrake shoes in a few weeks time by Lates and Pete in Rugby.
If we want to keep these cars on the road, regular upkeep is essential but this can be done fairly cheaply by DIY or getting the parts yourself and getting quality mechanics to fit them.

Stubs

Was the springs and shocks a DIY job ??? With you as the mechanic.---;)

STUBIE 11th June 2021 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2885963)
Was the springs and shocks a DIY job ??? With you as the mechanic.---;)

No I always get Lates in Rugby to fit my parts.

Stubs

cbr1100xx 11th June 2021 18:24

I found it easier to change the lot in one go.
Subframe off , good time to get rid of any rust , and so much easier to change the arms and bushes.
One note of caution is doing it with the subframe off , you can torque everything up correctly but when you have to change the arms and bushes in 14 months time you will struggle with the bolts(I did , took me nearly 3 days to change an arm and bush).

The next arm I get I will be changing the rubber boot on it for a land rover part as mine failed within a few months.

Stan