The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How to get 49.5 mpg (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=313465)

MissMoppet 10th June 2021 20:09

How to get 49.5 mpg

I've just done a 320 mile motorway run having installed the egr bypass, BMW replacement PCV AND Mr Muscle oven cleaned the manifold to achieve (IPK) 49.5mpg, 4 mpg better than I've ever obtained in 6 year's ownership. And some of the distance covered was legal speedwise.

stevestrat 10th June 2021 20:14

Can I just put a slight dampener on it, the IPK fuel reading is always optimistic. Only reliable way to get a fuel consumption figure is doing a brim to brim mileage calculation.

bl52krz 10th June 2021 20:55

Hi Dave. Can I just say that your mpg figure is very dependant on many things, especially tyres. At the.moment there are four Avon Z5 tyres on my KV6. They are not very good for mpg. The rating given to them is lower than the Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance that are on my diesel. My diesel, when there are four people and a full boot aboard when we go to France/Germany, and cruise around 80mph, we get over 50 mpg, every time, not just a one off. Just driving the short distances to the shops and visiting friends /relatives, I get around 44/46 mpg. The figures for touring on the continent are over anything between 1,000- 2200 miles so a good pointer what can be achieved using your left foot lightly.

grout20 11th June 2021 06:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2885823)
Can I just put a slight dampener on it, the IPK fuel reading is always optimistic. Only reliable way to get a fuel consumption figure is doing a brim to brim mileage calculation.

Too true.
I only use my 2.5 V6 Auto for longer journeys, rarely "around town" and IPK currently shows 39.2mpg :eek: since I last reset it 700 miles ago.
Now where's that pinch of salt...!?
It's a low mileage hobby car so mpg not a major concern and I use BP Ultimate.
Never raced or rallied that's for sure! :D
Regards
John

Ray L 11th June 2021 14:14

View first unread

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2885823)

Steve can I disagree?

A very good and accurate alternative is to add up the gallons of fuel bought in a 12 month and divide it into the mileage driven.

stevestrat 11th June 2021 14:20

I wouldn't have the patience to wait 12 months to find out average fuel consumption.

Ray L 11th June 2021 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2885949)
I wouldn't have the patience to wait 12 months to find out average fuel consumption.

Steve

You don't have to wait necessarily. I keep a record of fuel purchased, I can then refer back anytime to see my current mpg.

stevestrat 11th June 2021 15:30

Dunno if I'm missing something but I cant see any difference between what you do and a brim to brim calculation, just the way you are doing it gives an ongoing average . . . . with a 260 I don't think I'd want to know the ongoing average.

Odd Job 12th June 2021 11:55

I manage on average 48mpg on my diesel, with a clean inlet manifold, EGR disabled, that's with mainly 60mph - ish running.
That's calculated by brimming the tank and mileage recorded and working it out rather than what it says on the IPK, but, I will say normally my IPK is only on average 1 mpg out which I was quite impressed with!

BillyMG 12th June 2021 16:35

The only thing I know about tyres is I had some decent part worns on last year and my mileage dropped to 44mpg. Replaced them early this year and back up to 48mpg. Of course, that's just on the computer but still - tyres obviously make a massive difference!