The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Front right wheel grinding/vibrating and burning smell (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=311375)

Adam2003 28th February 2021 16:52

Front right wheel grinding/vibrating and burning smell

My front right wheel is making a very loud and constant grinding noise, it vibrates too. The sound is worse inside the car than when you’re outside. You can also smell burning coming from it. It sounds like something is trapped but I couldn’t find anything. I was moving it round my drive way to give it a clean when I noticed it.

Does anyone know what it could be ?

I’ve looked around for threads and videos in general not just 75s but I can’t find anything. It was supposed to go back on the road tomorrow but It isn’t safe to drive it. One thing after another with this car at the minute...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam2003 28th February 2021 17:02

Front right wheel grinding/vibrating and burning smell

Okay I’ve done some more looking around and I think my wheel bearing is bad... before I go looking for a new one could anyone confirm or deny? Just to note, it has been sat for about 2 months for the winter so could it be seized breaks that just need freeing? I don’t dare drive it though to free them as the noise is horrible.

roverbarmy 28th February 2021 17:59

Jack up remove wheel and brake pads. See if the noise is gone when you spin the wheel. If Yes it's brakes. If not it's bearing.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

AndrewJames 28th February 2021 18:05

If it were my car and had been sitting not moving over winter, I would look at the brakes first as they may well be seized... I would think so if there is heat being generated.

I've never experienced a bad wheel bearing but I've read you can do a basic test by raising the front of the car and checking for play in the wheel by putting your hands in the 12 and 6pm positions, 3 and 9pm positions and trying to rock the wheel. Everything should feel nice and tight. If not, it may be an indication of a bad bearing but could be other things too.

Adam2003 28th February 2021 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2868144)
Jack up remove wheel and brake pads. See if the noise is gone when you spin the wheel. If Yes it's brakes. If not it's bearing.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks will give it a go

Adam2003 28th February 2021 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewJames (Post 2868147)
If it were my car and had been sitting not moving over winter, I would look at the brakes first as they may well be seized... I would think so if there is heat being generated.

I've never experienced a bad wheel bearing but I've read you can do a basic test by raising the front of the car and checking for play in the wheel by putting your hands in the 12 and 6pm positions, 3 and 9pm positions and trying to rock the wheel. Everything should feel nice and tight. If not, it may be an indication of a bad bearing but could be other things too.

Thanks Andrew. I’ve been idling it every 3 days but never thought about the brakes. When I sorned it before this didn’t happen so that makes me think it won’t be the brakes.

AndrewJames 28th February 2021 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam2003 (Post 2868156)
Thanks Andrew. I’ve been idling it every 3 days but never thought about the brakes. When I sorned it before this didn’t happen so that makes me think it won’t be the brakes.

Try what roverbarmy suggested and you should figure it out fairly quickly. Good luck mate!

Adam2003 28th February 2021 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewJames (Post 2868162)
Try what roverbarmy suggested and you should figure it out fairly quickly. Good luck mate!

Thanks Andrew I appreciate it :)

COLVERT 28th February 2021 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam2003 (Post 2868156)

Just curious but what do you think you are achieving idling the engine ??

As for brakes. They tend to seize when not in use.---;)

Adam2003 1st March 2021 00:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2868209)
Just curious but what do you think you are achieving idling the engine ??

As for brakes. They tend to seize when not in use.---;)

Allows me to use the heater to stop condensation and mould. Stops the battery from draining, or draining quicker than if I just let it sit, I’m doing some work to the interior and need it charged and it’s stored outside so I can’t have a constant charge to it.

I’m going to do what Roverbarmy suggested and have it up on the jack in regards to the brakes.