The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Loud 'clunk' when pulling away (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=254108)

AndyJacobs 30th September 2016 06:10

Loud 'clunk' when pulling away

This is something that's been happening pretty much since I got my ZT.

When I pull away, unless I let the clutch out REALLY slowly and pull away like a pensioner in an Allegro, I get a loud clunk from the engine bay and you feel it too. It also happens if I change into 2nd and let the clutch out quickly.

What it reminds me of is when I had a mini and the engine mount rubbers were gone. The engine would rock back and hit the bulkhead.

It feels like there's a belt or pulley or something that's slack and then the slack gets taken up. It's not the clutch, I'm pretty sure of that as it doesn't seem to affect the actual performance, it's just annoying. It's done it for getting on for 40k miles so I'm guessing it's nothing too serious.

I don't know if it's connected but if I get a bit over-zealous and the traction control kicks in to stop wheel spin, it does it repeatedly and the car feels like it's going to shake apart.

TomRS 30th September 2016 06:39

Sounds like your lower engine mount "dog bone" mount on the bottom of the engine.
Cheap enough and DMGRS stock them.
https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...g-zt-kkh101383

AndyJacobs 30th September 2016 06:54

Yes, I did a bit more searching and found that as well. Funny, I looked into this about a year ago and couldn't find anything.

So, possible wheel bearing, engine mount and MUST get the cam belts done. I've been quoted £600 for the cam belts by a local garage, including the water pump.

Keeping everything crossed for a new job after being made redundant a couple of weeks ago. If I can get a job quickly then I'll have a bit of cash spare to get all this stuff done.

bluemalbert 30th September 2016 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyJacobs (Post 2373007)
Yes, I did a bit more searching and found that as well. Funny, I looked into this about a year ago and couldn't find anything.

So, possible wheel bearing, engine mount and MUST get the cam belts done. I've been quoted £600 for the cam belts by a local garage, including the water pump.

Keeping everything crossed for a new job after being made redundant a couple of weeks ago. If I can get a job quickly then I'll have a bit of cash spare to get all this stuff done.

Hi there, I have the same problem but possibly worse than your description. I can force the clunk at any gearchange, and now there is a clutch judder in 1st which is accentuated when pulling off with the wheels on the turn left or right! Andi willi did my clutch 5k ago and when he was working, he said the lower engine mount had been done. I guess if it was a poor one it could be that?? MGZT 190 2004, any ideas??
Unrelated - apply the brakes when rolling back - big clunk! Jacked up it seems that with the brake locked I can turn the road wheel 5mm and hear and see the clunk movement. Bearing?? accompanied by a whurrrr whilst driving.

rab60bit 30th September 2016 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomRS (Post 2372996)
Sounds like your lower engine mount "dog bone" mount on the bottom of the engine.
Cheap enough and DMGRS stock them.
https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...g-zt-kkh101383

What he said. I obtained what was described as a 'modified' genuine MGR (Chinese) unit off DMGRS - the upgrade was a redesigned/improved rubber cush (doughnut), it's been in about two years now, no problems.

bluemalbert 2nd October 2016 12:10

What do you reckon to the rear wheel movement? Both wheels the same - is this in the design. H/brake on, can move the wheel 5-8mm either direction! Brake caliper does not move - well anchored correctly.

klarzy 2nd October 2016 12:14

sounds like the lower engine mount or possibly lower wishbone rear bush

KeithA 2nd October 2016 12:38

Suspect lower engine mount and you are unlikely to see that it has failed without removing it and levering the centre bush. Easy job.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

maxxpump 2nd October 2016 12:46

We've recently had the same issue and it turned out to be the exhaust (which had rotted through)

Animesis 2nd October 2016 18:56

We had a similar issue, it was the gearbox, the n/s driveshaft was loose in it - hold the driveshaft as close to the gearbox as possible and try to move it up and down. Check its not loose there. It was making horrible clunks when using the clutch and rocking the car back and forth. Swapped the gearbox out for one on ebay and its all good now. In effect it was as if it had slack and letting the clutch up took it up and made the clunking noise.