The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   My ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) flush & fluid change - how to (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=124816)

beinet1 7th January 2022 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by goltho (Post 2914879)

So thanks again for this great How-To, Einar. It's still paying dividends after 9+ years.

Thanks for that! Its very nice to see that my work is still helpful for the forum members. This reminds me that my ATF change is probably due soon as that was my last change :D :D

goltho 7th January 2022 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by beinet1 (Post 2915379)
This reminds me that my ATF change is probably due soon as that was my last change :D :D

There's a good How-To on that job somewhere. Look it up.....

:D

Dougie,

clf 8th January 2022 01:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by goltho (Post 2914879)

So thanks again for this great How-To, Einar. It's still paying dividends after 9+ years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beinet1 (Post 2915379)
Thanks for that! Its very nice to see that my work is still helpful for the forum members. This reminds me that my ATF change is probably due soon as that was my last change :D :D

and also from me, especially for post 32 from THIS thread (dot org post), my first repair when I got the car (8 years ago).

Rick-sta 9th January 2022 17:04

Thank you

Just like to also say thank you to beinet1 for posting up this fantastic how to guide. over 11 years later and it's still coming in very useful. :bowdown:

Followed this guide to change the gearbox oil whilst replacing the 2/4 brake duty solenoid on my dad's 75 today.

Only thing that was odd when doing ours was, we drained the gearbox via the sump plug and that removed 3.5l of gearbox oil. I then added 4l of new fresh oil, and then removed 4l of old oil via the line from the oil cooler. We then added another 3.5l of new oil + around an extra 200ml to account for spillages. I then ran through each gear for 10 seconds each whilst stationary as instructed. All was done 100% as shown in the instructions in this OP.

However, when checking the oil level by removing the level plug firstly whilst the oil was cold, and then again once the oil was warm (the pipes between the gearbox and oil cooler were warm to touch) approx 2l of oil came out in total from the level plug.

We definitely got our measurements correct and definitely put in the amount we took out. I bought 2 5L cans of gearbox oil and still have 2.5L left in one can. The old oil has filled one of the 5l oil cans + 2 x 2l bottles (the extra 2l being what drained from the level plug). Car was on level ground on the driveway.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the gearbox oil had been changed in the past (we bought the car at around 85k miles) and had overfilled it at the time. It's now on 215k miles so don't know if having it overfilled for that long would cause any damage. Given the car a good test run (around 10 - 15miles) and all is running well.

Just hope it has the correct amount of oil in.

The car now drives super smooth after changing the gearbox oil. It's back to how smooth it used to be when we first bought the car, can't feel the gear changes at all :)

goltho 9th January 2022 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick-sta (Post 2915721)
Just hope it has the correct amount of oil in.

I've seen a couple of others having this issue and being none the wiser about why. It occurs to me that if the level plug was removed as an extra first item in the process with the car level, it would at least show if there was an excess of fluid in the transmission. :shrug:

Dougie.

SD1too 10th January 2022 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick-sta (Post 2915721)
... when checking the oil level ... once the oil was warm (the pipes between the gearbox and oil cooler were warm to touch) approx 2l of oil came out in total from the level plug.

Hi Rick,

According to MG Rover, the level checking procedure should be carried out at a fluid temperature between 35˚ and 40˚C. Yours would have been much lower than that if the cooler pipes were only warm to the touch. Your level may therefore be too low as a result.

The fluid temperature can be measured by connecting your multimeter between pins 7 & 8 of the gearbox connector C0243 located beside the battery. Using an appropriate resistance range on the meter, here are the readings to look for:
  • 35˚C = 1.7 kΩ
  • 40˚C = 1.16 kΩ
  • 45˚C = 1 kΩ

Note that when the connector is separated various sensors and the solenoid valves will be disconnected so stop the engine running first.

Simon

Rich in Vancouver 10th January 2022 17:29

Having the gearbox at the correct temp and the car level when checking the level is critical.
The Freelander guys obsess over this and doing it properly does make a difference.
Even partial fluid changes of 3-4 litres (by just removing the drain plug and replacing the amount of fluid that comes out) help the performance of the box although Beinet1's method will get the fluid out of the torque convertor as well.

75driver 10th January 2022 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by goltho (Post 2915726)
I've seen a couple of others having this issue and being none the wiser about why. It occurs to me that if the level plug was removed as an extra first item in the process with the car level, it would at least show if there was an excess of fluid in the transmission. :shrug:

Dougie.

That seems to be a logical step in the process, one which I done myself (post 49).
It would at least confirm if the car has been overfilled previously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goltho 10th January 2022 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by 75driver (Post 2915894)
That seems to be a logical step in the process, one which I done myself (post 49).

So you did. I only gave that a passing thought at the time when I read it but really, running the oil up to temperature first and then checking the level for overfill as a first step is probably more important than it appears.

Dougie.

ceedy 13th January 2022 08:09

just about to do my 3rd autobox oil change at 166k , to see if it help the gearchange banging..

Just wondering if Is there a name/number for the oil pipe connector types .

ta Chris