The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Problem with horn buttons (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=133127)

Charles 1st January 2013 14:06

Problem with horn buttons

I have discovered that my horn buttons are not working. The horn still gives a quick beep if I lock the car with a door open, so clearly the horn itself and its fuse are OK, but neither of the buttons on the steering-wheel has any effect. This suggests a loose connection inside the steering-wheel, or somewhere between the wheel and the horn. Is this a known problem, and can anyone suggest a solution, please? I am reluctant to start dismantling the steering-wheel for fear of damaging the air-bag.

hgv2 1st January 2013 14:18

Mine is the same. The beep when you lock the car is not the same horn,it's a single horn for the alarm and is in the plenum on the drivers side.
You need to check your fuse box in the passenger foot well, it's a blue 15amp fuse, easy to spot on the guide inside the fuse box lid. Mine was blown and instantly blew when I changed it, pressed the button, the horn did make a slight beep.
Let me know what you find but I guess the steering wheel will have to come off next. MUST disconnect the battery for half an hour first though, make sure you know your radio code.

GazYorkshire 1st January 2013 14:23

I had a similar problem with a Granada a few years ago.
On the underside of the steering wheel there was a brass or copper ring, which made the contact for the horn.
It was covered in a grey film, so I gave it a spray with WD40, gave it a wipe with a cloth, and that was it sorted.
Not sure if the set up's the same, but might be worth a look.

Charles 1st January 2013 14:28

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't realised they were separate horns. I'll check the fuse when I can get to it in daylight (probably at the weekend now) and report back.

Charles 1st January 2013 14:30

And thanks to GazYorkshire as well. Can't see anything like that on the underside of my steering-wheel but it may be inside the steering column.

rover54 1st January 2013 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by hgv2 (Post 1178894)
Mine is the same. The beep when you lock the car is not the same horn,it's a single horn for the alarm and is in the plenum on the drivers side.
You need to check your fuse box in the passenger foot well, it's a blue 15amp fuse, easy to spot on the guide inside the fuse box lid. Mine was blown and instantly blew when I changed it, pressed the button, the horn did make a slight beep.
Let me know what you find but I guess the steering wheel will have to come off next. MUST disconnect the battery for half an hour first though, make sure you know your radio code.

IIRC it is fuse 28 and don't forget to check the horn relay on the fuse panel.

hgv2 1st January 2013 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by rover54 (Post 1178908)
IIRC it is fuse 28 and don't forget to check the horn relay on the fuse panel.

Never thought of that, when I get fully mobile (almost there:xmas-smiley-004:) I will get out and investigate. Thanks.

stocktake 1st January 2013 17:34

Charles, with the engine running, pop the bonnet, does the bonnet open warning light come on?

pab 1st January 2013 17:45

When the horn buttons are pressed, can you hear a ticking sound from the Fuse Box above the glove box. If the ticking is audible, this is the Relay receiving power and the Fuse will be intact.

GazYorkshire 1st January 2013 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 1178906)
And thanks to GazYorkshire as well. Can't see anything like that on the underside of my steering-wheel but it may be inside the steering column.

Sorry, should have said - you'll need to remove the wheel to see it.