The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Got flashed but am I in the wrong (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=317747)

BillyMG 11th February 2022 17:27

Got flashed but am I in the wrong

I was driving back from Leeds today in Farage and the variable speed signs were showing 40. Just as I drove through one it changed to 60 and the road ahead was clear. I must have been behind the sign or obviously I wouldn't have seen it but to be clear I literally saw it change a split second before I passed under it. Without even thinking I stepped on the gas and the camera flashed me. It was definitely me as there were no cars alongside me. Will I get a ticket?? As far as I'm concerned I went through a 60 at about 43 on my phone sat nav / 48ish on the Speedo. I'll be furious if I get a ticket as I genuinely don't speed anywhere

macafee2 11th February 2022 17:41

43 in a "40", I would have thought not but you never know.
Seems the two were out of sync.

macafee2

Southern Star 11th February 2022 17:47

S

Highly unlikely I'd say. I read a post elsewhere once from someone who was involved in the tech side of motorway speed cameras who said that even when the variable limit is reduced, there is a five-second delay in enforcing the new lower limit. So I'd assume it would know that you passed below the posted limit at that time.

MSS 11th February 2022 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMG (Post 2920104)
I was driving back from Leeds today in Farage and the variable speed signs were showing 40. Just as I drove through one it changed to 60 and the road ahead was clear. I must have been behind the sign or obviously I wouldn't have seen it but to be clear I literally saw it change a split second before I passed under it. Without even thinking I stepped on the gas and the camera flashed me. It was definitely me as there were no cars alongside me. Will I get a ticket?? As far as I'm concerned I went through a 60 at about 43 on my phone sat nav / 48ish on the Speedo. I'll be furious if I get a ticket as I genuinely don't speed anywhere

Yes - we are all innocent, law abiding, citizens here! :eek:

I'd say regardless of whether you get a ticket or not, it is your moral duty to send in the equivalent of the fine amount. :D

trikey 11th February 2022 18:24

I would say you have a good case for getting off with the ticket if you observed the 60 sign, they should have records of when the limits change and be able to match that with the picture from the camera.

Maybe it was a French camera operator and they didn’t like the flag on the roof!!

clf 11th February 2022 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSS (Post 2920109)
Yes - we are all innocent, law abiding, citizens here! :eek:

I'd say regardless of whether you get a ticket or not, it is your moral duty to send in the equivalent of the fine amount. :D

try to pay a govt. department a sum of money that is not accompanied by relevant paperwork, explaining the service charge or product, go on, try it lol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

re: the OP, I cannot say that you will or not, as I understand such flashing does not always mean a fine, in that some folk 'get away with it'.

But the point of seeing the speed change, it could be argued that it was human error, and accidentally changed to the higher speed, only to be rectified immediately after. If one did arrive through the post, I would dispute it, and even with the human error element, it does mean 'beyond reasonable doubt' could not be fulfilled. I would assume such changes would be logged in some manner, be accidentally, or deliberate for such disputes.

Because of the potential for dispute, and the potential of causing issue with following drivers, I would have also thought there was some form of delay one way or another. IE the cars follwoing, assume the speed to be now 60, yet the car in front is doing 40 :shrug:

Bazzateer 11th February 2022 18:59

You'll get a life ban and a 300 quid fine. Tell you what, I'll do you a favour. I'll give you 300 quid for the car since you won't need it any more and you use the cash for the fine.

Sorted!:} I know, I'm a generous soul.

BillyMG 12th February 2022 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2920114)

Maybe it was a French camera operator and they didn’t like the flag on the roof!!

I knew it !!!

victorgte 12th February 2022 11:16

There is a 60 seconds delay from speed changing on the matrix sign to the cameras changing. No need to slam on the brakes.
I learned this on my speed awareness course!

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

simondhopkins 12th February 2022 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMG (Post 2920104)

Do you have a dash cam fitted?

If so and it shows 60 on there, submit the video as evidence and you should be ok.