The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Water top up (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=318168)

donc 10th March 2022 13:51

Water top up

My 1.8t has needed topping up with about half a pint of antifreeze about every 100 miles. The headgasket was done about eighteen months ago. Could there be any other reason than the head for this leakage? I can't see any obvious leaks. Would welcome opinions.

stevestrat 10th March 2022 14:32

Possibly inlet manifold gasket. Leaks when the engine cools down allowing a little coolant into the cylinders which burns off once the engine starts. The leak itself seals once everything warms up and expands. Is there any evidence of a misfire on start up or steam from the exhaust which disappears after a minute or so. Check the spark plugs as well, if one (or more) is exceptionally clean its evidence of any leaked coolant burning off, effectively steam cleaning the plug.

euro44 10th March 2022 14:43

check the cap on the expansion tank first. the rubber/ plastic sealing rings can get aged quickly and allow coolant to overflow. new cap from German supplier stopped my problem for £ 12.00. second check for signs of dried coolant around all water pipes especially near jubilee clips that get over tightened.

donc 10th March 2022 14:55

Water top up

The manifold gasket was replaced when the head was done and I've replaced the radiator cap!

COLVERT 10th March 2022 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by donc (Post 2923801)
The manifold gasket was replaced when the head was done and I've replaced the radiator cap!

Could still leak though. Check the fixings are tight.---:}

stevestrat 10th March 2022 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by donc (Post 2923801)

OK. How much coolant are you putting in the tank? The max level is right at the bottom of the tank and any excess will be ejected.

Next, is it the original plastic manifold because they can become distorted.

euro44 10th March 2022 19:56

Yes filling above the bottom of the fins will get expelled till it gets to that level ( my first mistake on getting my ztt ) it feels strange at first leaving it looking so low but if there are no leaks it will stay that way . worth checking that when the head was done the system was bled to remove air ,which can also blow excess out and then leave the system short.

trikey 11th March 2022 11:48

That’s a lot to lose! Have a look at the metal pipe that runs around the rear of the block, and the plastic thermostat housing at the end of it, both of those are known for leaking.

donc 11th March 2022 14:56

Water top up

Thanks everyone for the advice. Will try to narrow down. Wish you lived near Tricky!!

Yorkshire GOC 11th March 2022 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by donc (Post 2923913)
Thanks everyone for the advice. Will try to narrow down. Wish you lived near Tricky!!

Ah yes those were the days when he was in Barton:duh: