The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Overseas Club Members Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Malta (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=168476)

kc13661 27th December 2013 12:46

Malta

Do we have any forum members that reside in Malta, or regularly visit; I am trying to find out if there is to be a 'Military Day' in 2014 if so the date please.

Apparently this year they open up Imtarfa School (ex Military Hospital) for people to visit.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Jon Gane 27th December 2013 19:25

Hi KC
Was born at Imtarfa and have friends in Malta who might be able to shed light on this. Do you want to PM me with more details.

Jim Jamieson 27th December 2013 21:35

Hope you find what you're looking for KC

We visit Malta regularly, in fact we have just returned on the 17th Dec after our 4th visit this year and our Maltese friends also come over to Scotland to stay with us.

It's almost like our second home and with an extended family, such lovely people.

Rickoshea 27th December 2013 22:32

My brother was also born in that Hospital in 1949. I fondly remember some of the QARNNS Sisters at that fine establishment when serving as a Sub-lieutenant aboard HMS Tiger in the early 60s. I remember how very friendly the people were and indeed the RN at the time had lots of sailors from the Island.

I have thought about going back but suspect the Gut in Veletta has long since been gentrified and the Galvanised Donkey long since closed.

Jim Jamieson 28th December 2013 12:15

The Gut is still there but I don't think it is "as operational" as it was back then.

In our 28 years visiting the Islands we have noticed quite a few changes for example;
The majority of the old cars have disappeared in favour of more modern cars.
They now have a new airport terminal building
The roads have vastly improved since they joined the EU in fact I reckon they are better than some of our roads.
The old buses disappeared a couple of years back when Arriva took over with believe it or not bendy buses in their fleet. But earlier this year the bendy buses were taken off the road and now sit in storage just outside Valetta.

Dragrad 29th December 2013 04:38

Thread moved to appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old.

Rickoshea 1st January 2014 16:34

A late thanks for the update Jim. I will have to add visiting Malta to the "do list"

AndyAitch 3rd January 2014 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson (Post 1524807)
The Gut is still there but I don't think it is "as operational" as it was back then.

In our 28 years visiting the Islands we have noticed quite a few changes for example;
The majority of the old cars have disappeared in favour of more modern cars.
They now have a new airport terminal building
The roads have vastly improved since they joined the EU in fact I reckon they are better than some of our roads.
The old buses disappeared a couple of years back when Arriva took over with believe it or not bendy buses in their fleet. But earlier this year the bendy buses were taken off the road and now sit in storage just outside Valetta.

Arriva are gone now Jim, they've lost around €50 Million in the few years they've been there. As of yesterday (2/1/14) I believe Malta Transport have taken over the running of the bus fleet. My sister's boyfriend and a few friends worked for Arriva, they're working for the new company for now.
The bendys were taken off the roads when 3 of them 'mysteriously' caught fire in August... They were the ones that Boris chucked out of London when he became Mayor.

Seriously giving thought to moving out there sometime this year, lovely place, friendly people, cheap beer (yayy!!)...

AndyAitch 3rd January 2014 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc13661 (Post 1524054)
Do we have any forum members that reside in Malta, or regularly visit; I am trying to find out if there is to be a 'Military Day' in 2014 if so the date please.

Apparently this year they open up Imtarfa School (ex Military Hospital) for people to visit.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

I'll ask my sister's fella, he's ex REME and he'll know...

ilikerover 22nd April 2014 16:18

ilikerover

Hi all, I have recently joined the club. I have been living in Malta for the past eight years. There are some Rovers here, mainly 400's 600's. Since I brought over a 75 in January I seem to see a few of these too. There are a few 400 rag tops, literally due to the very hot climate here.