The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Airbag light (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=296558)

kevrandle 13th June 2019 12:11

Airbag light

My 75 CDTi tourer has just failed test on, among other things, the airbag warning light and I'm told it needs a new airbag which are, apparently, obsolete. I wondered if anyone knew a way to turn the light off, the airbag has never deployed and the light only came on recently.

roverbarmy 13th June 2019 12:19

You need a T4 session to accurately identify the problem before jumping into major spends. Most airbag lights are due to corrosion on the underseat connectors and can be simply a matter of unplugging and replugging a few times, or cleaning the connector with switch cleaner. They often come on when the seats are moved.:shrug:

trikey 13th June 2019 12:25

Nip across to see big Russ, he will sort it out for you.

kevrandle 13th June 2019 12:37

airbag light solved, thanks

Did as advised and fiddled with connectors under seat, light off! 'Reputable' garage had it on computer this morning and told me it definitely needed a new airbag.

many thanks for immediate help, much appreciated.

vacuman 13th June 2019 14:12

Probably the most frequently discussed topic. Surprised that you've been on here since 2010 and still needed to ask. It's one of the beauties of our cars that sometimes a 'serious fault' can be fixed so easily and cheaply.

peelaaa 13th June 2019 21:13

Just this week my car was up for its test, airbag light was on. Dis/Reconnected the yellow connector under the drivers seat many many times and light still lit. Then did the same under the passengers side, light went off. But please note, you have to turn ignition off and on to see the affect.

good luck, both 75's I have owned had this problem, It was never the airbag, just the connectors.

Kevin Williams 14th June 2019 16:03

I recently had the dreaded air bag light appear on my Tourer. Had a sunroof leak in the rear footwells last year [blocked rear drain not the usual fronts] and thought I'd dried out everything, but some dampness had got to both front sensors. Reconnection solution didn't work: 2 second hand green sensors did the trick: new ones seem hideously expensive from Rimmers [ circa £108 each] for what they are.

My ZT with sunroof has had the same sunroof problem: probably due to the slope of my road and drive, but no airbag light yet...

RogerHeinz57 14th June 2019 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Williams (Post 2740605)
I recently had the dreaded air bag light appear on my Tourer. Had a sunroof leak in the rear footwells last year [blocked rear drain not the usual fronts] and thought I'd dried out everything, but some dampness had got to both front sensors. Reconnection solution didn't work: 2 second hand green sensors did the trick: new ones seem hideously expensive from Rimmers [ circa £108 each] for what they are.

My ZT with sunroof has had the same sunroof problem: probably due to the slope of my road and drive, but no airbag light yet...

A word with the guys on here who break cars would source you the items for quite a bit less I suspect, and it seems that they only generally fail due to water ingress problems.

Split or Bust 14th June 2019 19:17

Is it advisable to disconnect the battery before doing the airbag connector disconnect, clean, reconnect process? Don't like the thought of the airbag going off.

And is the battery removal process the old fashioned simple approach of disconnect negative 1st routine or is there some hold your left leg out at a 90 degree angle whilst singing the French national anthem so as not to upset the Peugeot BSI silly routine? :shrug:

Kevin Williams 16th June 2019 18:14

Roger,
Yes, got what I needed for £25....Inevitably there's two different types of sensor for under the front seat depending on the the car: green or yellow.