The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Engine rebuild/ which spark plug ? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=327325)

Sonestarick 13th March 2024 20:27

Engine rebuild/ which spark plug ?

Hi all,
Just rebuilding my 2001 '75 2.5Ltr petrol auto' engine and wondering what plugs to replace the present DensoK16 PRU11'S which I have had for 4 years and under K10 miles. I have had no problems that I am aware of with these plugs but I am considering replacing with either Iridium or Platinum and need some advice regards which would be a good replacement from someone with experience of Platinum or Iridium.
Any advice born from experience would indeed be appreciated.
Reg. Y559NDV.
Thanks from "the eternal optimist".

xsport 13th March 2024 21:45

Mine have 40k on iridium plugs . Still going strong.... ;)

xsport 13th March 2024 21:50

NGK forgot to add. Check the gaps on whatever make you buy are not excessive. I tend to set mine very slightly under if poss. I run lpg and petrol and have no issues on either .... ;)

Dorchester2 14th March 2024 19:47

NGK Iridium as well for me since 2 years.

SD1too 15th March 2024 06:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonestarick (Post 2991113)
... I am considering replacing with either Iridium or Platinum ... Any advice born from experience would indeed be appreciated.

I can do that Richard!

At about the recommended mileage I removed the factory-fitted sparking plugs from my V6. They were the type with three earth electrodes and I was surprised to find them in perfect condition after no intervention for 67,500 miles.

I replaced them with NGK PFR6N-11 (platinum) also with triple electrodes, but it was obvious that the originals could have provided good service for a lot longer.

Simon

Sonestarick 2nd April 2024 00:52

Which spark plugs ?

Hi all ,
Thanks for the advice and feedback regards to which are the preferred spark plugs to fit in the KV6. After much deliberation and all the various preferences voiced I fitted the existing standard plugs which had only covered K7 miles and looked in really good condition and with having had no problems with them looked a good decision. Now with the '75 back on the road again I am looking forward to covering some miles over the summer.
Thanks for all the advice and opinions appreciated very much.
Cheers
Rick'

Sonestarick 2nd April 2024 01:06

Hi Simon,
Well at last the '75 is on the road again with thanks to Russell Walsh - MGROVER Solutions. Borough Green. Kent. who carried out the work and with all looking good at last looking to the summer months and miles to cover.
Many thanks to you Simon and all who sent advice etc as it is good to know that one is never alone when you are struggling for a solution to a problem with no end in sight. What I did find out during this saga was that there is a lot of garages who do not want to get involved with the KV6 unit and who do not get involved with replacing head gaskets !
Next is some more improvements to brakes and suspension then it is attention to the exterior and the paint. All the best for the summer and Happy motoring.
Thanks again from me "the eternal optimist "
Cheers Rick'