The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   KV6 bad engine noise & vibration - looks like I may need to take my car to a garage (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=151532)

Bolin 1st July 2013 22:46

KV6 bad engine noise & vibration - looks like I may need to take my car to a garage

My KV6 is making a bad noise from th area of the engine, plus has a slight vibration.

The noise can be herad from inside the car and is most noticeable if you stick your head underneath the front bumper, infront of the driver's wheel with the undertray removed. It sounds like it's coming from the bottom of engine, but due to acoustics this may not be the case.

There is a slight vibration at idle, which can be felt in the floor and in the steering wheel. If you rev the car up, when the revs drop back to idle speed the vbration will get noticeably worse for a brief moment before settling back to how it was before.

I'll try to post a video tomorrow.

I thought it could be the DMF, and considering some other symptoms I had and reading lots on here, it all fitted that it was on the way out. However, it was within spec but the surface was knacked and the clutch slave cylinbder was wonky and sort-of half broken (surpised the clutch didn't feel worse). So these have been replaced but the original noise and vibration remain the same.

The cambelt tensioner pulley and idler pulley were both replaced when the belts were done by Andy Willi in April 2011, car has only done 8,500 miles since. However, my noise does sound vaguely similar to that which is apparently due to a failing tensioner pulley.

Could it perhaps be the tensioner itself causing the problem? If not, any ideas what is?

With a vague 'noise and vibration' problem like this, I am at the limit of my experience and so may need to take my car to a garage to get this diagnosed.

Any help in diagnosing this problem myself would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bolin

Greeners 1st July 2013 23:10

Start with the lower mount

This was the one on my 190

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...c5f991dc72.jpg

Bolin 1st July 2013 23:14

Thanks David, but it was done shortly after the belts:(

Can't be much left on my car that I haven't fixed:shrug:

Greeners 1st July 2013 23:17

Not sure how far into Hampshire you are, but if your not a million miles away, get Corin to have a look/listen/poke

Indiana_Jones 2nd July 2013 01:33

How does one check the lower mounts? get the car up on some ramps/axle stands?

Sorry to hijack!

Greeners 2nd July 2013 01:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indiana_Jones (Post 1350878)
How does one check the lower mounts? get the car up on some ramps/axle stands?

Sorry to hijack!

yes and remove the 2 bolts and out it pops

Indiana_Jones 2nd July 2013 01:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeners (Post 1350880)
yes and remove the 2 bolts and out it pops

Cheers mate _b

SD1too 2nd July 2013 08:52

Colin,

What about the auxiliary drive belt, it's tensioner and idler wheels? If you begin by removing the wheelarch liner, then start the engine and have a close look at the belt tension.

Simon

Bolin 2nd July 2013 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeners (Post 1350844)
Not sure how far into Hampshire you are, but if your not a million miles away, get Corin to have a look/listen/poke

I did get a PM back from me and he gave me his home phone number - I left two messages and spoke to his wife but he still hasn't got back to me, and that was a couple of weeks ago:(

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 1350946)
Colin,

What about the auxiliary drive belt, it's tensioner and idler wheels? If you begin by removing the wheelarch liner, then start the engine and have a close look at the belt tension.

Simon

It's not the aux belt run Simon, sadly. I released the tensioner from the top of the engine bay using a 3/8" socket and slipped the belt off the aux idler and aircon compressor and moved the belt out of the way of the crankshaft pulley, and ran the engine - the noise remained.

In my investigations I did find that the aux idler is a bit noisy, but has no play in the bearings. However, this is not the cause of the noise that this thread is about - hence me being quite worried about it as it appears to be something more fundamental.:(

Canonite 2nd July 2013 11:08

I had something similar which turned out to be cambelt tensioner which had disintegrated