The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A tribute to the 75 that saved my life... (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=317274)

strand1988 15th January 2022 18:52

A tribute to the 75 that saved my life...

Driving home yesterday I was involved in a major accident when a van pulled out in front of me. The front of my 75 ended up under the van, smashing my windscreen and completely destroying the front end. The amazing paramedics, police and fire that attended the scene could not believe that I was able to open the door and be helped onto a stretcher.

I have owned my 75 for over 10 years loving polishing it and keeping it on the road - yesterday evening it repaid my kindness by saving my life. I know its silly to get attached to cars, but loosing the car is the only thing that has got me emotional during the whole ordeal, it was a buddy. It will be very fondly remembered. RIP old girl.

On a slightly lighter note... I have front and rear passenger doors in starlight silver that I had been intending to put on the car. I am keen to pass them onto someone, they are going free to anyone who can collect them from Hertfordshire.

Southern Star 15th January 2022 19:04

Gosh, what an awful experience. Sorry to hear about the car but at least you're ok and that's the main thing.

squire 15th January 2022 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by strand1988 (Post 2916588)
Driving home yesterday I was involved in a major accident when a van pulled out in front of me. The front of my 75 ended up under the van, smashing my windscreen and completely destroying the front end. The amazing paramedics, police and fire that attended the scene could not believe that I was able to open the door and be helped onto a stretcher.

I have owned my 75 for over 10 years loving polishing it and keeping it on the road - yesterday evening it repaid my kindness by saving my life. I know its silly to get attached to cars, but loosing the car is the only thing that has got me emotional during the whole ordeal, it was a buddy. It will be very fondly remembered. RIP old girl.

On a slightly lighter note... I have front and rear passenger doors in starlight silver that I had been intending to put on the car. I am keen to pass them onto someone, they are going free to anyone who can collect them from Hertfordshire.

The main thing is you are OK. It's good to know that the cars are looking after their owners.

BRG75 15th January 2022 19:08

Very sorry to hear this, but what a tribute to the strength of design built into these cars.

MIRA (Motor Industries Research Association) if that is who did the collision / impact tests are all well and good, but you have benefited in the real world, from a serious accident.

Best wishes for the future.

Mike

FLYING BANANA 15th January 2022 19:11

At least you are ok. Your Rover done it’s job in looking after you. Cars can be replaced.

trikey 15th January 2022 19:29

Take it steady and ensure your ok, after a big crash the effects sometimes do not show for a few days.

(And start to look around for the replacement 75)

Bazzateer 15th January 2022 19:45

It's not at all silly to become attached to our cars. Glad you're OK.

roverbarmy 15th January 2022 20:21

I had a similar experience, having a head on collision with a 4 wheel drive tractor and trailer (he was coming the wrong way, up a one way road on a blind bend) whilst driving my two year old Suzuki Swift. As the impact was with the tractor counterweights mountings, into the Suzuki bonnet and engine, the airbags didn't go off
https://gordons.claas-dealer.co.uk/m...range/tractors

I got whiplash which I worked with (back in work the next day) but finally had to stop work due to increasing pain and a "frozen" shoulder and arm. Six months of physio helped but I still have the after effects and do not enjoy seeing tractors on my journeys. I still have nightmares seeing those massive wheels climbing into my car! Believe it or not, they rebuilt the car but I traded it in soon after. Cars can be replaced. Take care. Mike ;)

bl52krz 15th January 2022 20:46

Glad you got saved by your Rover 75 from serious injury. When I had my Rover SD1 3.5, I had an accident when a car drove into the passenger side out of a side road. It buckled the roof, and smashed the front passenger door into the car. Good job my wife was not with me. It turned the car round to point the other way. All I suffered was whiplash for about three days. And no, I did not claim for the whiplash. Car was written off, and I could have cried..

Rich in Vancouver 16th January 2022 05:42

Glad to hear you were able to walk away.
They are strong cars. My ZT, "Andy" was destroyed when we were hit by a
drug dealer running from the police. He hit us at well over 120KPH but my peripheral vision and Andy's fantastic brakes stopped us just in time to save me, but not my loyal ZT. :(

[IMG]https://images2.imgbox.com/a5/ce/k3DM7kT7_o.jpg[/IMG]