The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Space saver wheel (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=128794)

championdaddy 8th November 2012 10:08

Space saver wheel

OK...i'll warn you now......this is a rant !!! :mad:

why oh why did MG think that space saver tyres were a good idea ????

I have a puncture yesterday.......i thought..... its ok....i have a spare.

only...even though i did......I DIDN'T !!!!!

the stupid thing wont fit over the brake calipers as its only a 16 " wheel !!!

How did they fathom that just becuase it might fit a Roiver 75......it would also fit a ZT ?????? :shrug:

OK.......rant over......:D

suzublu 8th November 2012 10:15

Supposed to go on the back wheel i think :shrug:

SKS Disco 8th November 2012 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by championdaddy (Post 1134971)
OK...i'll warn you now......this is a rant !!! :mad:

why oh why did MG think that space saver tyres were a good idea ????

I have a puncture yesterday.......i thought..... its ok....i have a spare.

only...even though i did......I DIDN'T !!!!!

the stupid thing wont fit over the brake calipers as its only a 16 " wheel !!!

How did they fathom that just becuase it might fit a Roiver 75......it would also fit a ZT ?????? :shrug:

OK.......rant over......:D

Hi,
I take it the puncture was on the front?
Space savers always go on the rear. You have to do a double shuffle with a rear wheel on the front and space saver on the rear.

page 193 of the owners handbook ;)

Plezier 8th November 2012 10:17

daft idea yep but if one actually reads th cars hand book it tells you how to deal with this.

You fit the space saver on the rear and the rear wheel to the punctured front.

Of course the sensible idea of course is to acquire a proper spare wheel :p:. That is what I intend to do on my lowly Rover 75 and it's lowly 15" wheels ;).

MrDoodles 8th November 2012 10:21

To be fair to MGR, the 190's actually left the factory with a inflator kit as standard and you then had to opt as an option to replace that with either a space saver or a full size spare wheel, which also then included a jack and wheel brace also.

It's probably more down to lack of knowledge from the original Salesperson, because in the brochure, there's no mention of a space saver not fitting a 190!

ardvark 8th November 2012 10:22

I don't know if there is a differance and I'm not taking the "P" but the space saver I have went of the front of mine when I had a flat.

suzublu 8th November 2012 10:23

Discs are bigger on a 190 :}

championdaddy 8th November 2012 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardvark (Post 1134987)
I don't know if there is a differance and I'm not taking the "P" but the space saver I have went of the front of mine when I had a flat.

yes matey, the ZT has bigger discs and calipers.

and MG made dodgy decisions ! LOL

championdaddy 8th November 2012 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDoodles (Post 1134985)
To be fair to MGR, the 190's actually left the factory with a inflator kit as standard and you then had to opt as an option to replace that with either a space saver or a full size spare wheel, which also then included a jack and wheel brace also.

It's probably more down to lack of knowledge from the original Salesperson, because in the brochure, there's no mention of a space saver not fitting a 190!

Well, I have two 190s as per my sig pic. Both have 16" space saver wheels, Both have Rover stamped on them.

CUH.....thats all i can say.....CUH !

pab 8th November 2012 11:04

I suppose my 190 must have been supplied with the tin of Tyre Inflator as nothing was in the spare wheel well.

I had a full size spare in the garage, a lot less hassle than a space saver or the tyre repair kit in my opinion.