The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Respray cost - 75 saloon (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=308651)

StephenEssex 17th October 2020 21:06

Respray cost - 75 saloon

Hi has anyone here had their 75 saloon resprayed and if so how much did you pay? my car is very straight with no damage or dents, it is non metallic.

I'm thinking £2000 but wondering what anyone else has paid.

thanks
Steve

trikey 17th October 2020 21:11

It can be up at £12k depending on the paint, the prep and paint shop!!

StephenEssex 17th October 2020 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2842917)
It can be up at £12k depending on the paint, the prep and paint shop!!

Thanks. actually just came across a post on here from a couple of months back someone asking this question.

Mike Trident 17th October 2020 23:31

Depends how far you want to go with it.

I have seen superb re-spays for 2k, and some really bad ones for twice that amount. You need to shop about and see work they have done.

Just a few months ago while having some accident damage sorted on our other car, I asked him to look at my Rover with a few to having the paint sorted. It's pretty good, but has some lacquer damage here and there. I suggested a re-spray of the bottom half, up to the chrome trim. He quoted an unbelievable £450. If it turned out as good as the car we had fixed it would be quite passable if I was having the whole car done. If he was only doing the bottom half of the car, it wouldn't be quite on par with the Rover finish on the top half and would be noticeable.

The problem with re-sprays is we expect total perfection, far far better than the original finish! just take a look at the paint of most newish cars, the orange peel is very noticeable on most of them. If you paid for a re-spray and you saw orange peel you would be very disapointed, but it you bought a brand new car costing £££ and it had orange peel, you would except it. :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

StephenEssex 18th October 2020 10:34

Thanks all but my question was asking what have other people paid for their respray. I know you can spend thousands £££££ on this type of thing, I just wondered what anyone had paid for a respray and how good it was. thanks.

StephenEssex 18th October 2020 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Trident (Post 2842928)
Depends how far you want to go with it.

I have seen superb re-spays for 2k, and some really bad ones for twice that amount. You need to shop about and see work they have done.

Just a few months ago while having some accident damage sorted on our other car, I asked him to look at my Rover with a few to having the paint sorted. It's pretty good, but has some lacquer damage here and there. I suggested a re-spray of the bottom half, up to the chrome trim. He quoted an unbelievable £450. If it turned out as good as the car we had fixed it would be quite passable if I was having the whole car done. If he was only doing the bottom half of the car, it wouldn't be quite on par with the Rover finish on the top half and would be noticeable.

The problem with re-sprays is we expect total perfection, far far better than the original finish! just take a look at the paint of most newish cars, the orange peel is very noticeable on most of them. If you paid for a re-spray and you saw orange peel you would be very disapointed, but it you bought a brand new car costing £££ and it had orange peel, you would except it. :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Some orange peel wouldn't worry me too much if you could see the state of mine currently :getmecoat: The horizontal panels i.e. roof bonnet and boot are in a terrible state.

SCP440 18th October 2020 12:08

As has been said you can get a respray for anything from a Grand upwards. My mates body shop has recently completed a colour change on a Porsche and that cost the owner nearly £15k but has taken 3 months and it looks better than new.

The best advice I can give is look at the cars awaiting work outside, if they are all dealer part exchanges awaiting a tart up probably best run a mile. If on the other hand it is all high end and classics you are more likely to get a good job.

You also have to consider how much stuff is going to be removed or masked to do the work? If they are going to mask everything and there is vey little damage to be repaired that will be a lot cheaper than if they are going to remove every door handle, piece of glass and all the trim before repairing a dent in every panel.

Also some body shops will be happy for you to remove trim and bumpers before hand but you will also need to refit it once the work has been done.

Mason6 18th October 2020 13:04

Mine was done recently at a cost of £1200 for full body in the, or as close to, original colour.
I was quoted £1200 + vat or £1200 cash but I’ve been a customer for a very long time :D
If you shop around you can be sub-£2k but depending how deep your pockets are I suppose!

Teflon 18th October 2020 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenEssex (Post 2842977)
........ The horizontal panels i.e. roof bonnet and boot are in a terrible state.

Much of the cost for a re-spray is down to the amount of prep work that's required, so you'd need to factor in the condition of the panels. Best approach would be to have a friendly chat with a few local body shops and and outline your requirements / standards etc.

Cliff

Adam2003 18th October 2020 15:52

Glad I’ve seen this thread. When I’m 18 next year I’m planning on full respraying my 75. It’s British racing green. Is this an expensive colour or would it be relatively cheap because of how common it is to get as Jags use it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk