The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Wheres best to get a new under bonnet pump? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299699)

bikerdude666 3rd October 2019 19:23

Wheres best to get a new under bonnet pump?

Well I got in the car to come home from work, turned the ignition on and there was a noticeable new noise. I turned the air con off wondering if it was that, but the noise continued from behind the glove box area, popped the bonnet and traced the noise to what I think is the under bonnet pump. Located behind the fuel filter, and next to the battery box.

Had a look online, and found some posts here saying to only get the pierburg pump, Rimmers have this for £152 + P&P, ECP have it for £148. Has anyone got any ideas where else might have a pierburg or similar quality pump that may be a bit cheaper, house move and approaching christmas so money is in short supply.

Thanks

BigRuss 3rd October 2019 20:35

The one Rimmer's are selling is now likely to be a Ti pump as X-part now only supply these as opposed to the Pierburg ;)
They are good quality and should be reliable if you have a look on eBay you should be able to find a genuine one a little cheaper.

There are cheaper pumps available but can be unreliable even from "trusted" sources.
I've seen one that lasted 2 hours, it was guaranteed but that's not much good when it fails and leaves you stranded ;)

Russ

Mickyboy 3rd October 2019 20:59

Completely agree with Russ TI Automotive pumps are nice and quiet and reliable, in fact I only fit these now
Mick

bl52krz 3rd October 2019 22:24

The TI pump I got from Rimmers around 9 years ago as a spare was not fitted until last months Nano Meet at Four Ashes. It kept leaking. Thought it was the pipe on the bottom connection that was porous. Kept trying different clips but to no avail. Artic(Steve) said the pump must be leaking. Luckily another member there had a spare in his boot and tried that and it was ok. Can not see where it is leaking from on the bottom of the pump, so I imagine it must have a small pinhole in it somewhere.

clf 3rd October 2019 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 2766386)
The TI pump I got from Rimmers around 9 years ago as a spare was not fitted until last months Nano Meet at Four Ashes. It kept leaking. Thought it was the pipe on the bottom connection that was porous. Kept trying different clips but to no avail. Artic(Steve) said the pump must be leaking. Luckily another member there had a spare in his boot and tried that and it was ok. Can not see where it is leaking from on the bottom of the pump, so I imagine it must have a small pinhole in it somewhere.

internal seals failed?

Arctic 4th October 2019 00:19

A good tested second hand pierburg can give a decent service, all you need to do is find one from a trusted trader not far from this post, if he as one ;) drop a PM

The cheapest one I have seen new is £118.00 just checked and they have lowered the price for how long I don't know.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-NEW-GE...UAAOSwsQJdmaFT

bikerdude666 4th October 2019 13:52

Thanks, today the car has decided for me really. Coming home from work just now and the car was struggling about 2000rpm, eventually crept up higher but was stuttering, and with my foot flat to the floor it would only just do about 70mph. When I got home the pump now sounds far worse. So looks like I’ll have to go with ECP, as I don’t have time to wait for a mail order company.

DMGRS 4th October 2019 13:58

A shame you're not closer to our new base in Southampton, we have some excellent pumps there at the mo. :)

Good luck with the replacement, thankfully quite a simple job!

bigblue75 4th October 2019 15:14

Bought an OEM Q underbonnet fuel pump from DMGRS in June and it is certainly not 'whisper quiet' but does produce an even flow.

Obviously can't comment on it's reliability.

marinabrian 6th October 2019 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblue75 (Post 2766504)
Bought an OEM Q underbonnet fuel pump from DMGRS in June and it is certainly not 'whisper quiet' but does produce an even flow.

Obviously can't comment on it's reliability.

You're doing well, a local member bought one of these and it lasted a whole three ......days :eek:

There are a litany of these cheap and nasty pumps around, a lot fail quickly, some I've seen leaking from the electrical connector, which allows diesel to wick through the wiring loom and end up in the fuel pump relay inside the passenger compartment fusebox :eek:

I bought a genuine pump TI Automotive, these are made in Belgium in the former Pierburg facility..........30,000 miles later it's still quiet, still delivering full pressure, and has not left me on the hard shoulder.

I wouldn't have an "OEM Q" pump given, never mind actually part with money for it.

Buy cheap and buy twice ;)

Brian :D