The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Sat Nav drive unit repaired !! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=224340)

le-sabre 24th August 2015 10:20

Sat Nav drive unit repaired !!

Hi guys,
I though i'd share a little success that I had over the weekend ( it doesn't happen too often )
My Sat Nav unit in my 2005 ZTT developed the fault that causes it to stay on constantly and run the battery down, red led permananty on. On taking it out I could see the expected traces of water damage so I was all ready to scrap it and look for another so I decided to take it apart and have a look as I had nothing to lose.
I took out the actual drive to insect it but no visible damage could be seen. So now i'm thinking a component or two are faulty which I don't have th eresources to fix these days. My last attempt was to take the front panel off and strip that down, and I came across the ribbon connector that connects the front panel to the main pcb. On the connector I could see that it had had water ingress and had "furred" up the connector so I took them apart and cleanes up the cable ( carefully as one track had actually lifted from the plastic backing ) used a toothbrush to clean out the connector. I had to do both ends it turns out.
It only works now :-)
When I work out how to post a pic i'll put one up. I only have one of the cleaned up components though as I kinda got focused on fixing it .. but it will be good for a reference of the cable/connectors i'm on about

Avora 24th August 2015 10:52

Excellent news! I have been on with one of Greeners drives for ages. I've repaired all the water damaged components/traces and revived it. However, my luck isn't as good as yours and won't power down. I've tested the power LED pins before the flex cable and have nothing. I suspect corrupted firmware on one of the microcontrollers and haven't had time to investigate further.

Congratulations though!

thomas 75 connie 24th August 2015 11:12

Good work Im too hamfisted to even contemplate trying to repair my spare drive:}

jpdoc 14th October 2015 17:06

Another sat nav cd unit success!

3 Attachment(s)
A big thanks to le-sabre. I've been fiddling with the sat nav cd unit on my 2000 connie for years - the factory fit gave out a few years ago, I got a replacement from Sean in Bexhill-on-sea, this failed after a few months, I bought another on this forum but it had a corrupt display problem (the seller offered to help me track it down but as some months had passed I didn't want to bother him) and in August of this year I bought a mk3 on ebay.

The unit was advertised as good working condition but when I installed it the red power light stayed on so it flattened my battery in a day. The ebay seller kindly refunded my dosh, I unplugged it and ran without.

As per other posts on this forum I had opened all of the units and cleaned up any water ingress I found with no success. Then I saw le-sabre's post while browsing. When I opened up the mk3 the pcbs looked clean and I could find no water ingress, but I wasn't aware of the small pcb in the front panel which has the red power light built into it.

So I re-opened up the unit and dismantled the front panel. Sure enough there was furring on the ribbon cable from the main board to this little one. I cleaned up with a toothbrush and Isoproyl Alcohol, dried it out and re-installed it. Eureka! The power light now goes out. I'm leaving it overnight but every sign is that it's fixed.

Attached a pic of some of the collection I've gathered while mucking about with this. Also a pic of the ribbon cable and pcb that were causing the problem in the hopes that it might help someone else.

Once again this forum proves itself a godsend!

murphyv310 14th October 2015 17:57

Hi.
Contact cleaner is good for removing corrosion, after though some WD40 will protect the connector and slow down any reoccurance of the corrosion.

drjonts 2nd October 2016 16:09

Thanks John

John,

This post just help resurrect my nav unit...fabulous stuff.

Will post an update on my thread.

Thanks.

Jonty

drjonts 2nd October 2016 16:32

Here's the link to my post if it is helpful to anyone reading this.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru....php?p=2374123

Jonty

Animesis 2nd October 2016 18:52

I left mine on the gas boiler for a couple of days to get nice and warm and dry, it all powers off now :) I can only suppose there was a small amount of damp somewhere inside it where I couldnt see -i had it open and everything looked dry-