The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Why do my wipers judder? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=226711)

Mike24 23rd September 2015 21:00

Why do my wipers judder?

A few months ago I replaced my wiper blades with some from a well known auction site. To begin with I was impressed with their efficiency and quietness. However, over the last couple of weeks the driver's side wiper has started to skip on the screen making a juddering noise (deeply annoying!) and leaving a series of lines on the screen. I wondered if anyone might know the reason for this and (even better) know a cure?

mininuts 23rd September 2015 21:10

Cheap wipers? They don't last long, false economy.
Or grease and fly splat residue?

I always use Bosch and usually get a good 18 months out of a set :bowdown:

jonc3725 23rd September 2015 21:19

If your springs are good then it sounds like the rubber has already going hard. Cheap wipers tend to this.

Like you I don't like juddering wipers

I use my trade card at Halfrauds and normally replace mine twice a year.

denis 23rd September 2015 21:20

Wipers

Really depends on the state of all the components, windscreen, arms and blades. I've had Lidl wipers and they worked perfectly well. You can't just say cheap wipers -- **** - it doesn't work like that. Make sure the wipers are in good condition particularly the blade edges. Clean the windscreen of muck. Wash first and then normal white paste toothpaste is good for this, polishing with a bit of water and like you're polishing the paintwork. The toothpaste removes ****, and greases etc. Then have another go at trying them. :}:} Ok seems the forum doesn't like mild words like cr*p (bunch of Nellies) so try dirt.

I'd like to know who changed my profile statement to "Gets stuck in" cos I certainly didn't!!!!!

bear-mg 23rd September 2015 21:22

you cant beat bosch wipers , they seem to last for ages unlike cheap ones which tend to be false economy and soon dry out :D

Dragrad 23rd September 2015 21:43

Thread moved to a more appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old. This may be the better forum as things get 'buried' very quickly in the General Forum ;)

Generally give the windscreen and wiper blades a good clean. it is usually a build up of road muck that causes the juddering. (Unless the blades & holders have excessive wear) :}

Dave Goody 23rd September 2015 22:55

Well my cheap Aldi ones lasted 3 years at about 10% of the price of Bosch and didn't judder or squeak, they were still perfect when I sold the car. Does that mean Bosch ones will last 30 years?:D
Cheap is not always bad, sometimes its sensible

t5tart 23rd September 2015 23:07

I bought cheap aero wipers off the bay 3 yrs ago still going strong.....

here is a little tip I learnt off an old man many years ago
clean the wiper blades with white vinegar once in a while ;)

Dragrad 24th September 2015 00:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by t5tart (Post 2103170)
I bought cheap aero wipers off the bay 3 yrs ago still going strong.....

here is a little tip I learnt off an old man many years ago
clean the wiper blades with white vinegar once in a while ;)

And the windscreen with the Daily Telegraph..... But that was some time ago :getmecoat:;) it used to work well :D Something to do with the print ink :shrug:

t5tart 24th September 2015 01:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragrad (Post 2103194)
And the windscreen with the Daily Telegraph..... But that was some time ago :getmecoat:;) it used to work well :D Something to do with the print ink :shrug:

yep newspaper and vinegar best for cleaning glass

although I doubt it works so well now

probably like fish and chips..they dont taste the same ...