The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Hot (under bonnet)Diesel tourer wont start (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=314803)

Pierat 19th August 2021 14:58

Hot (under bonnet)Diesel tourer wont start

Hello gentalmen ,just wonder if anyone else has had similar experiance ,Basically if parked up and underbonnet gets HOT then engine will not start , Any one had similar problem , 2002 tourer under 65000mls once cool will fireup and run as sweet as the last 60000mls doesn't miss a beat or faulter in any other way , any pointers WELCOME Regards PIERAT

macafee2 19th August 2021 16:09

only time I have heard of this problem is when the engine has been running and people park up then try to restart. crank sensor is the normal cry I think but for this to happen when your car is parked????

macafee2

Lincoln Green 19th August 2021 17:05

It sounds like a problem I had not long ago. I would drive somewhere and park and upon returning car wouldn't start. It didn't happen every journey,just now and again. New cam sensor fitted and no problems since. Worth a try as it's a quick and easy job.

Pierat 19th August 2021 19:17

Thank you Gentalmen , Macaffee/ Lg my local garage mechanic was flummoxed as it happened when I drove the vehicle to his works to book a service and would not restart ,He shot some brakecleaner fluid at the air intake as I was cranking the engine and she started , his subsequent testing could find no fault , doe's not happen all time only when hot under the bonnet So the infamous intermittant fault !! He did mention both the crank &cam shaft sensors ?? as possible suspects Regards Pierat KEEP WHU-FLU FREE!!

Yorkshire GOC 19th August 2021 20:35

Both crank and cam sensors can fail hot - a failing cam sensor will cause non starts only and a failing crank sensor causes both non starts and stalling.:shrug:

Yorkshire GOC 19th August 2021 20:38

if its a failing crank sensor if she does not start again and you try and turn her over if the rev counter does not flicker at all that points to the crank sensor is dodgy.;)

BigRuss 19th August 2021 22:19

Most likely suspect is the cam sensor if it starts normally once it's cooled then that's the problem, you can diagnose by popping it in the freezer to rapidly cool it then refit, if it then starts that's the problem ;)

Russ

Mike Noc 20th August 2021 05:46

Yes classic symptoms of a failing cam sensor. Another common cause is injector leak back, and seeing as your car started with Easystart (albeit the backstreet version) then could be worth carrying out an injector leak back test.
With a failing cam sensor the engine won't start with Easystart, but with a failing injector it will as the HP fuel pump is engine driven and rotating slowly during cranking (it runs at three-quarter engine speed) so can't overcome the losses in fuel pressure, and the Easystart speeds the engine up as it fires.

Pierat 22nd August 2021 07:34

Sensor

Thank you Gentlemen much usefull info obvious gained from experiance, will change the camshaft sensor ,fingers crossed Regards Pierat

macafee2 22nd August 2021 08:41

crank sensor, cam sensor I knew it was one of the damn things I'd seen mentioned in other threads.

macafee2