The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   prog rock heaven (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=108860)

suzublu 23rd March 2012 20:10

prog rock heaven

Tonight on BBC4, prog rock from the early seventies,takes me back to my rebellious schoolday youth.ELP,Yes,Barclay James Harvest etc.It's the music i listened to instead of the bubblegum pop.Radio Caroline,Luxembourg etc,happy memories :bowdown:

pauld07 23rd March 2012 21:17

good to see decent music on the telly for a change

greendriver 23rd March 2012 21:44

Now this is my era, Gentle Giant, VDGG, ELP, Yes, Tull etc.

greendriver 23rd March 2012 21:45

I forgot Sensational Alex Harvey Band

backseateducation 24th March 2012 15:43

Friday nights on BBC4 are the best thing on the TV. All the prog stuff was just brilliant, my fave era of music despite not being born until 1980. Loved the 'Classic Albums' on Peter Gabriel too, I met him once while doing a job at his studio:bowdown:

Some really good stuff been on over last few weeks, especially the superb Transatlantic Sessions and the Gerry Rafferty documentary and tribute concert:}

whitevanman 24th March 2012 16:01

Was good stuff, I have a DVD of the best of 'The Old Grey Whistle Test'. which I put on every now and then.

Despite having a plethora of megastars on it, my fav performance has to be Captain Beefheart with Upon the My O My. Simply because he was so off the wall, or thats how he came across anyway.

Spent his latter days painting pictures (in the desert of Arizona I believe) and making a few quid too for his expressionist paintings which are quite sort after.

Sadly died in 2010 after suffering a long battle with MS. lasted longer than most rockers of the 60's & 70's though.

suzublu 24th March 2012 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by backseateducation (Post 958988)
Friday nights on BBC4 are the best thing on the TV. All the prog stuff was just brilliant, my fave era of music despite not being born until 1980. Loved the 'Classic Albums' on Peter Gabriel too, I met him once while doing a job at his studio:bowdown:

Some really good stuff been on over last few weeks, especially the superb Transatlantic Sessions and the Gerry Rafferty documentary and tribute concert:}

Yep,something decent for a change.Always liked Peter Gabriel,The Doors on next week.That lyric you've got for a sig. Peter Greene, "Oh Well part 1" if i'm not mistaken?;)

suzublu 24th March 2012 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by greendriver (Post 958534)
Now this is my era, Gentle Giant, VDGG, ELP, Yes, Tull etc.

Saw Van Der Graaf Generator way back when i was an egg, thought they were "static" :getmecoat::D

backseateducation 24th March 2012 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzublu (Post 959032)
Yep,something decent for a change.Always liked Peter Gabriel,The Doors on next week.That lyric you've got for a sig. Peter Greene, "Oh Well part 1" if i'm not mistaken?;)

Certainly is!

Another troubled genius and a real guitar hero - I think it was BB King who said 'he was the only one who gave me the cold sweats'...
Praise indeed:}

backseateducation 24th March 2012 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitevanman (Post 959006)
my fav performance has to be Captain Beefheart with Upon the My O My

:bowdown:

Been looking all the OGWT stuff up on Youtube, love that song, a bit mad but rocks out!

Little Feat's performance of 'Rock n Roll Doctor' is another OGWT fave of mine:}