The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   clicking while accelerating with the hot engine on Rover 75 CDT (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=319746)

Feret 23rd June 2022 12:50

clicking while accelerating with the hot engine on Rover 75 CDT

Hello,

I remind you that I am in France and that I have owned my Rover 75 cdt since 2018. It currently totals 226,000 km / 140430 miles...

Not long ago, I had the clutch, flywheel and seals changed and the front cross member was therefore removed. As I picked up my car, I immediately noticed a slight metallic rattle coming from the engine compartment and on the left side, towards the high beam and fog light contactor.

This noise is fast and and it is similar to a sound of rocker arms having taken play, it is also comparable to an electric sewing machine noise!

It only appears when the engine is hot, and as soon as you accelerate or the engine is loaded to climb a hill, and it starts at 1100/1200 rpm. I've been told about noise caused by the fins of the turbocharger, but I'm not sure if it can work below 1500 rpm!
However, I changed the 2 "O rings" at the entrance of the pipe intercooler, and I also have to change the upper hose which has become rubbery and lets a drop of oil through
I read that some bmw M47 diesel engines make a close noise caused by the ventilation valve of the fuel tank, but I do not find this element on the drawings of Rimmer Bros...

I know that this kind of noise can be reflected in the engine compartment, I am sure that it is not a noise of friction of something, but a noise of mechanical origin ... Would anyone have ever had this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help ! :bowdown:

simondhopkins 23rd June 2022 18:01

Could it be someone left a socket in the engine bay? or a loose bolt rattling at resonance.

Feret 23rd June 2022 18:36

Thank you... no I don't think so, it's really very comparable to a rocker noise, or a poorly adjusted ignition (or fuel with bad octane number). On the other hand, by accelerating with gearbox to neutral, nothing !

hogweed 26th June 2022 10:22

Not much help, I'm afraid, but mine does this too. I'm not sure when it started - I think it has been developing slowly for many months. It's at its worst under load, eg when going up a steep hill, which may be worrying...

The car is going to our local MGR guru for its annual service next month - if he finds anything I'll post here.

Feret 26th June 2022 18:26

Thank you, that would be a great help and I thank you in advance...

I'm in the countryside near Reims (or Rheims as your ancestors said ��) and this vehicle is no longer common there at all!

I have already experienced this feeling of being a Martian in a car with my two successive Triumph 2500 PI ��with Lucas injection between 1982 and 1985...

Bogbrush82 26th June 2022 21:35

Could it be an engine mount?

paulbn61 26th June 2022 22:30

Whether appropriate or not, but since I have my replacemennt engine done, and all errors sorted, I too have something similar, most noticeable at low revs or when not under load. I have had an independent guru have a listen with the old long screrwdriver to the ear, and he reckons its one of the tensioner pulleys, but needs closer check to be sure.

Feret 27th June 2022 06:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogbrush82 (Post 2937087)
Could it be an engine mount?

Hello,

No I don't think so... The silent blocks are new, except the hydramount above the power steering pump, but it is in good condition.
I will look under the car while changing the engine oil, but this noise is too regular: imagine rotating a bicycle wheel at regular speed by placing a metal strip on the spokes and you will have an idea of ​​the noise.

Obviously what is disturbing is the appearance of this clicking after removal of the gearbox, flywheel and suspension crossmember, but it could be a total coincidence.

polinsteve 28th June 2022 08:28

Sounds like the crankshaft pully but that is on the right.

Mike Noc 28th June 2022 08:42

They tend to rattle at idle though Steve. A worn water pump can cause a rattle similar to the crank pulley, but that is also on the right hand side.