The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Fixing a puncture on a pneumatic jockey wheel (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=316752)

macafee2 8th December 2021 12:36

Fixing a puncture on a pneumatic jockey wheel

One job that does not fill me with joy is fixing a puncture on a pneumatic jockey wheel. I don't know if it is due to the small size but getting the tyre on and off and the inner tube in and out can sometimes be a fight.

Once flat the things are nothing more then a paper weight.
Last time out with the caravan, as I was unhitching once home, I heard the hissing of air from the jockey wheel. Due to them being useless once flat, I carry a spare.

Perhaps I should also carry puncture outfit, pump and tyre levers.

macafee2

yelnats 8th December 2021 14:47

Had this before and replaced it with a solid tyre,not quite as manoueverable but eliminates the problem.Good luck.

macafee2 8th December 2021 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by yelnats (Post 2911437)
Had this before and replaced it with a solid tyre,not quite as manoueverable but eliminates the problem.Good luck.

We had a gravel drive so went the other way, also the outer tread of the solid wheel was falling apart.

macafee2

clf 9th December 2021 16:15

I have no experience of them, but would jockey tyres and tubes not be prone to dozing or cracking? Making a spare tube a better idea than a repair kit?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

macafee2 10th December 2021 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2911593)
I have no experience of them, but would jockey tyres and tubes not be prone to dozing or cracking? Making a spare tube a better idea than a repair kit?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

I think the tyre cracks on the outside and seems to leave the inner surface intact, not sure about the tubes cracking.
I may even have a spare tube

macafee2

clf 10th December 2021 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2911683)
I think the tyre cracks on the outside and seems to leave the inner surface intact, not sure about the tubes cracking.
I may even have a spare tube

macafee2

was figuring this based upon UV cracking the tyres, but thought the tubes (and the inside of the tyre) would doze over time, and gravity too of course. The lack of rotation, causing the 'rubber' to sag over time. I dont know, am just thinking out loud (or in text lol). an example, albeit with an obviously different compound, the tyres on an old MRRC slot car, flatten over time if left unused actually forming a dome shape! (but it is this reason I am suggesting a replacement tube as opposed to a repair kit).