The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Xenon bulb flickering (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=317258)

Schotten 14th January 2022 15:28

Xenon bulb flickering

Hi there, about 3 years ago one of bulbs went on my Xenon (OEM) headlights. As it's a pain to change them (bumper off light units out - unless someone says other than that!) I thought change both at the same time, got 2 from DMGRS all fine until last Autumn- every now and then the I/side would go out with the obligatory warning message in the IPK. Switched lights off and back on again, still the same. Turn ignition off and back on again, light unit works and message goes away. This was not a regular occurrence, not after going over a bump, checked wiring as best you can , all seems fine. Past few weeks it’s been happening more or less every day I drive the car, now the if just switch off headlamps and back on again whilst driving the light come back in and the message goes away. Past week I’ve noticed a slight flicker from the headlamp, then off it goes. Switch to sidelights and back to headlamp clears it, temporarily. Probably just a new bulb required? Again wiring checked when lights are on and the lamp unit out makes no difference. Strange behaviour?

Rick-sta 14th January 2022 17:26

Yep the xenon burner unfortunately is on it's way out. I just had the exact same problem on my wife's Kuga, fitted some Lunex xenon burners 2 years ago and one started to turn off randomly. Sometimes it would turn off after only a few minutes, other times it would run for a while before turning off. Replaced that burner and it's been fine since.

One way to check is you can swap the burners over between your two headlights, if the issue transfers across to the opposite light you'll know it's the burner.

Number 6 14th January 2022 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick-sta (Post 2916409)
Yep the xenon burner unfortunately is on it's way out. I just had the exact same problem on my wife's Kuga, fitted some Lunex xenon burners 2 years ago and one started to turn off randomly. Sometimes it would turn off after only a few minutes, other times it would run for a while before turning off. Replaced that burner and it's been fine since.

One way to check is you can swap the burners over between your two headlights, if the issue transfers across to the opposite light you'll know it's the burner.

Are replacement burners available???

Rick-sta 14th January 2022 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 6 (Post 2916422)
Are replacement burners available???

Yes ofcourse they are. They're just d2s burners. The OP bought some from DMGRS.

Schotten 15th January 2022 13:13

Ok thanks, thought so. Oh well it’s off with the bumper, I’ll replace both at the same time as I’m sure the other one will go a few weeks later if I only exchange the one!!

peelaaa 16th January 2022 12:53

Hope you dont mind me hijacking this thread but I have xenons and they seem to be dimming over the time I have had the car. Could be the plastic covers clouding up of course, but can that be a sign they are wearing out?.

thanks
Ian

Rick-sta 16th January 2022 13:20

When xenon burners are on their way out they start going a pinkish colour and can start going dimmer prior to this stage.

However if your headlights lenses need refurbishing this will be reducing your light output. Also the projector fish eye lenses get coated in a thick layer of dust on both sides of the glass which reduces the light output. The fish eye lenses are cleaned on all the custom headlights I do whilst I have them taken apart.