The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Essential spares (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=72799)

baconbuttyman 20th November 2010 19:47

Essential spares

As time goes by and part become scarce, what parts would you say are recommended to keep as spares.
Alternator & Starter for a start, any thing else :shrug:

carl 20th November 2010 19:56

Id say a couple of wheel bearings possibly

chrissyboy 20th November 2010 20:00

a couple of donor cars :D;):getmecoat:

carl 20th November 2010 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrissyboy (Post 621767)
a couple of doner cars :D;):getmecoat:

are they like doner Kebabs ? or did you mean DONOR cars ;)

If you have the space 2 old 75`s to strip to shell would be very handy indeed

chrissyboy 20th November 2010 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by carl (Post 621772)
are they like doner Kebabs ? or did you mean DONOR cars ;)

If you have the space 2 old 75`s to strip to shell would be very handy indeed

yeah i meant donor cars ,, i have the msfortune of using a dyslexic keyboard.:D:D

Mintee 20th November 2010 21:34

Trouble is everything is essential after it starts going wrong.

But I doubt any motor factor type manufactured parts will be completely unavailable inside the next 10 or more years either. Rusting body shells and crash damage will do most of the cars in by then anyway.

Where have all the Sierras gone?

capese21 20th November 2010 22:02

When I had a TR7 (sold it in 2007) I was able to buy all parts (very few were NLA) from Rimmer bros.

TR7 production finished on 1981 and they still support the car with most parts available.

I would not worry about stocking up, imho parts will be available for many years.

Ed:}

rotrex 20th November 2010 22:46

I agree. however anybody with space who likes to tinker with car. wont do wrong stocking some parts he/she might need in long term??

VVC-Geeza 20th November 2010 22:59

Couple of spare pipes and slippers :)

David3807 20th November 2010 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by baconbuttyman (Post 621747)
As time goes by and part become scarce, what parts would you say are recommended to keep as spares.
Alternator & Starter for a start, any thing else :shrug:

I dont think that essential spares will become scarce for a while yet although the non essentials are already scarce/non existant eg powerfolds and switches.

However I have had for some years a policy of buying a spare or spares of any part which could possible go wrong on my two (after a search through this forum and others to see what the common complaints are) AS LONG AS THE PRICE ASKED WAS LESS THAN 25% OF LIST.

My theory being that if anything does go wrong I have the part and it cost a lot less than list giving cheaper running costs. Or If nothing goes wrong I can at least probably sell the parts to another owner for what I paid when I eventually give up Rover ownership.