The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Broken rear spring (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=313553)

malcolm the piano man 15th June 2021 16:22

Broken rear spring

So. Just failed MOT on broken rear spring. 2003 2.5 Tourer. Anyone any advice on how to do. Had a quick look and it doesn't look too bad. It doesn't look as though I need a spring compressor. It almost looks like undo bottom wishbone and lower on a jack.

TIA

trikey 15th June 2021 16:35

Undo the nut that holds the bottom of the shock absorber to the hub.

If you have a rear anti roll bar fitted then loosen the bolts holding the subframe on the side you are working on, this will give you a little more room.

Press down on the upper arm and you will be able to ease the spring out.

Ducati750cc 15th June 2021 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by malcolm the piano man (Post 2886628)
So. Just failed MOT on broken rear spring. 2003 2.5 Tourer. Anyone any advice on how to do. Had a quick look and it doesn't look too bad. It doesn't look as though I need a spring compressor. It almost looks like undo bottom wishbone and lower on a jack.

TIA

Take careful note of the upper and lower rubber spring seats and how they fit on the springs, both are different, the bottom one usually needs a 1/4 turn to free it from the wishbone and a 1/4 turn when re-assembling.

A couple important bits, whilst the spring is out, take a bit of time to check the upper and lower seats for rust , the lower is the one that gets the stick, any sign of rust and a quick wire brush, rust treatment and a couple of coats of paint will make it last longer.

One important part is that you will see a drain hole in the wishbone bottom seat, make sure it is clear, especially if you paint it, on the bottom seat rubber there are four slots, make sure that when the bottom rubber seat is twisted into place, that one of the slots is over the hole to allow drainage.

This being blocked is a favourite cause of terminal rust in the area.

malcolm the piano man 15th June 2021 18:39

lower seats for rust , the lower is the one that gets the stick, any sign of rust

Yes, the spring has broken about an inch from the bottom end

Ducati750cc 15th June 2021 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by malcolm the piano man (Post 2886657)
lower seats for rust , the lower is the one that gets the stick, any sign of rust

Yes, the spring has broken about an inch from the bottom end

Oddly enough most break at the bottom end, the rust I mentioned is rusting of upper arm where the spring sits.

grout20 23rd June 2021 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2886632)
Undo the nut that holds the bottom of the shock absorber to the hub.

If you have a rear anti roll bar fitted then loosen the bolts holding the subframe on the side you are working on, this will give you a little more room.

Press down on the upper arm and you will be able to ease the spring out.

Hello Andy

Just checking .... same method possible on the saloon?

Haynes manual suggests lots of other bits need loosening / undoing (I know I know...! :} )

Tia
John

trikey 23rd June 2021 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by grout20 (Post 2887834)
Hello Andy

Just checking .... same method possible on the saloon?

Haynes manual suggests lots of other bits need loosening / undoing (I know I know...! :} )

Tia
John

Yes, same for the saloon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaryGee 23rd June 2021 10:55

When I’ve done mine just remove bottom damper bolt
Because spring is broken it should come out easy
Refitting I use scissor Jack between top arm and body to push arm down

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...abf2673ba6.jpg

peelaaa 23rd June 2021 12:32

I'd recommend changing the 2 as when mine was changed I discovered one had been changed by previous owner and it was longer than the original on the other side.

Kernowchristoff 23rd June 2021 14:16

spring advice

Hey Bud

If it has not been mentioned check the colour code for your spring. They are all different. The code is on a label on the fuel tank under the rear seat.

Good Luck

Chris