The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Pronunciation. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=316566)

COLVERT 25th November 2021 22:07

Pronunciation.

Going back a good few years I used to be able to pronounce the names of folk appearing on my TV screen. Now I find it's getting harder and harder.--While I'm figuring it out the rest of the message has vanished.---:eek:

Just lately a youngster going by the name of Greta Thunberg was complaining about the fact that nobody had tried to find out how to pronounce her surname.
She said it is pronounced as-----------

Wait for it--------------

It's coming.--

Toonberry-----------------:eek::eek::eek:

Mind you it took MONTHS for the F1 TV announcers to call the French driver properly.-----It's not Le clerk
It's Leclaire. That's how you pronounce it.

I bet David Coultard would not like to be called David Coal tar.---;);)

KWIL 26th November 2021 11:14

That's not how I would pronounce her name, the little .....

COLVERT 26th November 2021 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWIL (Post 2909684)
That's not how I would pronounce her name, the little .....

Yep., and I think I agree.---;)

roverbarmy 29th November 2021 12:27

The one that gets my goat is that Richard Osman fella on House of Games when he says "Arntser Smash" instead of Answer smash. The "A" in the first word and the A in the second word should obviously be pronounced the same. The "A" or "a" is flat as in flat but those southern characters seem to want to add an "R" as in grarss/grass and brarss/brass. Us northerners (and those who originally lived up north) talk proper! He needs a tap on't head, not a tarp on't head cos that'ud be a watterproof sheet, wunt it!

grivas 29th November 2021 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2909637)
Going back a good few years I used to be able to pronounce the names of folk appearing on my TV screen. Now I find it's getting harder and harder.--While I'm figuring it out the rest of the message has vanished.---:eek:

Just lately a youngster going by the name of Greta Thunberg was complaining about the fact that nobody had tried to find out how to pronounce her surname.
She said it is pronounced as-----------

Wait for it--------------

It's coming.--

Toonberry-----------------:eek::eek::eek:

Mind you it took MONTHS for the F1 TV announcers to call the French driver properly.-----It's not Le clerk
It's Leclaire. That's how you pronounce it.

I bet David Coultard would not like to be called David Coal tar.---;);)

The reason some people don't pronounce other people's names correctly is plainly simple, they lack social skills, are rude, ignorant, lazy etc, and disinterested in others, either as individuals or in other cultures, so much for promoting tolerance and good will to all, it's a pile of horse manure.

I have lived in the UK for nearly 50 years, and I can count the number of people who can pronounce my family name on the fingers of one hand!.

wraymond 2nd December 2021 13:59

Quote:

Just caught up with this Jon. Couldn't resist. One, or even more than one, (!) might wonder how one would say:

'An Asses ass is the last thing you see, as it passes past you.
And pronounced as in The Arsenal would incur, on here, a penalty.
So if the ball was then passed, from the first to the last, who’s to blame for obscenity?

Southerners, obviously.

Number 6 2nd December 2021 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by grivas (Post 2910182)
The reason some people don't pronounce other people's names correctly is plainly simple, they lack social skills, are rude, ignorant, lazy etc, and disinterested in others, either as individuals or in other cultures, so much for promoting tolerance and good will to all, it's a pile of horse manure.

I have lived in the UK for nearly 50 years, and I can count the number of people who can pronounce my family name on the fingers of one hand!.

SO, How do you pronounce your name??:shrug:

COLVERT 3rd December 2021 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 6 (Post 2910616)
SO, How do you pronounce your name??:shrug:

Exactly------------:wot::wot::xmas-smiley-003:

mileshawk56 3rd December 2021 15:10

Mac- this is very interesting- Chris.S

mileshawk56 3rd December 2021 15:19

And I think it is a problem the world over, sometimes deliberate mostly because the construction and emphases are not known to the user. Or in my case because Im old and the memory is not what it was. Chris S