The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Leaky boot questions (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=308084)

Workhorse 23rd September 2020 10:10

Leaky boot questions

Hello all, realise this has been covered before, but was hoping for some up to date info on where to get certain parts.

Firstly, the boot seal looks past its best, with it almost looking like there are chunks missing. I'm not quite sure how this damage would have happened but thought it would be a good starting point. Looking online, the ones from RimmerBros appear to be £80, rather more than I'd hoped. I'd prefer a new seal, rather than a used one, but is this the going rate?

Secondly, one of my rear lights is cracked. Not sure if this is where water could be getting in, but either way I'd like to replace the light, and the seals behind them. I seem to recall seeing an improved light seal (single rather double skinned I think), but I now can't find them online. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Any pointers much appreciated as always!

HarryM1BYT 23rd September 2020 10:34

The rear light seal is rather odd, in that it is made in two halves. The two parts come apart and then allow water in. I stuck mine back together and fitted them back to front, they have been fine since then.

They had allowed my wheel well to fill with water by the time I got the car, but luckily no actual damage once dried out.

Other points of water entry to the boot I heard of are...

1. The trim clips along the waist.

2. The air vents hidden by the sides of the rear bumper.

3. The clips along the base of the rear screen.

4. The boot hinge bolts.

The usual fix for each of those is to add some suitable sealant.

edwardmk 23rd September 2020 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 2838317)
The rear light seal is rather odd, in that it is made in two halves. The two parts come apart and then allow water in. I stuck mine back together and fitted them back to front, they have been fine since then.

They had allowed my wheel well to fill with water by the time I got the car, but luckily no actual damage once dried out.

4. The boot hinge bolts.

And for good measure, you may have to silicone seal the new seal if after doing that list you still get water in the boot. I did everything on the forums including Arctic's excellent sunroof drains fix. I still had some water getting into the boot until I silicone sealed the new seal! Heavy rain overwhelms the boot seal and water can leak in under the fitting surface against the metal rim. My ZT V8 has a hidden factory fitted drain (under the battery plate in the boot), which speaks volumes for the confidence of the engineers at Rover in solving what was clearly a problem well known to them:eek: Nevertheless, without that drain, I would have had a swimming pool inside.

Phil th Barrow 24th September 2020 10:08

There's this

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=305754

Blink 24th September 2020 10:31

Changing the boot lid position using the hinge bracket bolts (like I did :duh:) can also cause a leak into the boot.

I altered mine to stop the front edge of the lid rubbing on the rear window trim. It worked but then the boot leak started!

torque2me 30th September 2020 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardmk (Post 2838344)
And for good measure, you may have to silicone seal the new seal if after doing that list you still get water in the boot. I did everything on the forums including Arctic's excellent sunroof drains fix. I still had some water getting into the boot until I silicone sealed the new seal! Heavy rain overwhelms the boot seal and water can leak in under the fitting surface against the metal rim. My ZT V8 has a hidden factory fitted drain (under the battery plate in the boot), which speaks volumes for the confidence of the engineers at Rover in solving what was clearly a problem well known to them:eek: Nevertheless, without that drain, I would have had a swimming pool inside.

Boot drain? My ZT260 saloon let water into the boot via the l/h rear light cluster seal (the 2 part item). It became a Olympic size swimming pool. After I got the water out I noticed a circular blue bung let into the boot floor pan. No hole in it though, so no water egress......simples!

My 44 year old Triumph has a rubber holed bung in case of water ingress but it has never leaked in my 34 year ownership.

Kev
p.s. Anyone know where to get a 6 cd-changer unit?

bl52krz 30th September 2020 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by torque2me (Post 2839639)
Boot drain? My ZT260 saloon let water into the boot via the l/h rear light cluster seal (the 2 part item). It became a Olympic size swimming pool. After I got the water out I noticed a circular blue bung let into the boot floor pan. No hole in it though, so no water egress......simples!

My 44 year old Triumph has a rubber holed bung in case of water ingress but it has never leaked in my 34 year ownership.

Kev
p.s. Anyone know where to get a 6 cd-changer unit?

Try Mickyboy for the 6 cd changer unit. He has most things.

COLVERT 30th September 2020 22:21

I drilled an 1/8" diameter hole in the wheel well floor to let the water out before I cured the leak years ago. Thankfully never needed it again.----:D

torque2me 1st October 2020 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2839729)
I drilled an 1/8" diameter hole in the wheel well floor to let the water out before I cured the leak years ago. Thankfully never needed it again.----:D

Yeah, that is what I did :-)

Kev

kelvo 1st October 2020 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 2838317)

4. The boot hinge bolts.

It's also worth checking the seams along the boot edge and rear wings. I had a drip on mine which used to run down the loom for the rear lights (just above the sat nav) and it was cracked in a few places so I resealed it and touch wood seems to have cured this.