The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Unfortunately my MGR ownership is at an end. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=327743)

Mogodon 22nd April 2024 21:07

Unfortunately my MGR ownership is at an end.

After 30yrs of continuous ownership of Rovers and MG's it has finally come to an end.

It wouldn't start the other week which I narrowed down to injectors, It also scraped through the MOT with the tester telling me there was corrosion to both sills, the rear subframe would soon need attention along with brake pipes to the front.

Rear discs and pads needed and the handbrake just made it through the mot.

I had also noticed rust bubbling on bottom of front wing, rear quarter just behind wheel arch ans corner of roof panel where the black channel is.

SWMBO was the voice of reason, saying was it really worth spending an estimated £1,500 (my trusted garage estimate) or more on a 20yr old car on 140k and £360 VED and be nice to have something modern.

So, I've gone beige, and and bought a 2015 Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium estate.

Heated cloth seats and steering wheel, heated windscreen, Dab radio, cruise control, tow bar, low mileage and £35 VED.

I'm nearly 60, disabled (so really unableto do anything but small minor jobs myself), and need a car that's reliable and comfortable.

Can't sell on here as not paid up member, bit got some rare PPD bits now on the bay with more as clear shed out.

daveo138 22nd April 2024 21:11

That’s a shame.

I’m sure the continual increases in VED will see a lot of these cars killed off, when it is so much cheaper on newer models.

coab 23rd April 2024 06:56

Sadly the VED will kill it if cars. My 2013 BMW 320d is 184 bhp returns 53.2 mpg to Coventry and back and is an absolute flyer and is £35 per year.
Heaven knows what I currently pay for my 2 ZT Diesels one being auto and my newly acquired MG ZT 180 SE auto! I’m thinning down my fleet as I no longer have the space plus it’s just not practical or economical anymore.

sln8458 23rd April 2024 07:05

How about a link to your ebay items?

Reebs 23rd April 2024 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by sln8458 (Post 2994362)
How about a link to your ebay items?

As a non subscribed member, under club rules he is not allowed to sell. advertise or promote his items for sale using the club platform I'm afraid.

sln8458 23rd April 2024 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reebs (Post 2994375)
As a non subscribed member, under club rules he is not allowed to sell. advertise or promote his items for sale using the club platform I'm afraid.

Sorry, didn't realise a link would not be allowed.:getmecoat:

grivas 23rd April 2024 15:32

These cars are getting very old now and expensive to maintain and keep running, it will come a point in the not too distant future when most of us will have to make similar decisions!. All the best

macafee2 23rd April 2024 16:35

Is spending for example £1,000 on repairs to a car cheaper then buying a replacement car?

macafee2

coolguy 23rd April 2024 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2994402)
Is spending for example £1,000 on repairs to a car cheaper then buying a replacement car?

macafee2

Definitely.(and you know what you have got).

Mogodon 23rd April 2024 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2994402)

macafee2

I don't disagree that it is, but my 2015 replacement with half the miles is

More practical (being an estate, dogs don't have to go on back seat when wet/smelly/dirty, usually all three).

It will (well should) be more reliable being 11yrs newer and less than half the mileage of the ZT.

Being a manual and a more modern engine (both 2ltr diesel) supposedly quite a bit more economical and £35 VED as opposed to £360 for the auto ZT.

And being a Titanium it's loaded with toys (Dab radio, sat nav, cruise, heated everything.

I loved my Zed and if I could have kept it as a non essential project/weekend car (and had off road parking/storage) it would have been kept, but as the main family car, needing to be dependable and reliable i just didn't have faith in it any anymore.