The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   who said dogs are not very clever? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=294018)

HarryM1BYT 18th March 2019 07:57

who said dogs are not very clever?

Two border collies, they each have their own memory foam beds, his in the kitchen, her's in the living room. Both like their own spots usually, but..

Sometimes he likes to be in the living room with me, but she dashes to occupy her bed when he comes in. He comes to me to be petted, she gets jealous jumps off the bed to push him out of the way to get to me, he makes a dash for the bed. The same routine plays out several times a day and she never learns.

She has even tried squeezing onto the same bed with him, but its too small for two. They are best of friends.

stevestrat 18th March 2019 08:12

Maya isn't the sharpest tool in the box but when she's hungry its hilarious. She will kick her (metal) dish against the kitchen unit so that it clangs then turns and looks at you as if to say "Oi, this is empty!" If you don't react she'll stamp on the edge of the dish so hard it overturns ringing like a bell :D

Darcydog 18th March 2019 12:43

Our new rescue dog Ella is coming on well - had her two and a half months now.

One thing I find spooky is that she knows about 30 seconds before my alarm goes off. She gets out of her bed at the bottom of ours and sits next to me looking at me.

A few seconds later the alarm goes.

The alarm is an iPhone SE :shrug:

RPWC 18th March 2019 17:55

Dogs are far .more intelligent than any human

HarryM1BYT 18th March 2019 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2719926)
Maya isn't the sharpest tool in the box but when she's hungry its hilarious. She will kick her (metal) dish against the kitchen unit so that it clangs then turns and looks at you as if to say "Oi, this is empty!" If you don't react she'll stamp on the edge of the dish so hard it overturns ringing like a bell :D

My two do that sort of thing when their water dish is empty.

If they want anything, they sit and stare at you, then you have to go through the list saying the 'possible wants' until you get a reaction.

Ignore the stare and it progresses to nudging you, to get you to pay attention. I talk to both a lot, telling them where I am going next. If I say bath or shower the female tears up the stairs to the bathroom.

HarryM1BYT 18th March 2019 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcydog (Post 2719988)
Our new rescue dog Ella is coming on well - had her two and a half months now.

One thing I find spooky is that she knows about 30 seconds before my alarm goes off. She gets out of her bed at the bottom of ours and sits next to me looking at me.

A few seconds later the alarm goes.

The alarm is an iPhone SE :shrug:

I would expect that of a mechanical clock, but an Iphone? I wonder if it lights up or something before it alarms?

I used to give a single ring on the phone, when I got to a few minutes fro home on the way home from work, for the drive gates opening. The dog soon picked up on that.

75c 18th March 2019 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPWC (Post 2720056)
Dogs are far .more intelligent than any human

Be sure and ask for one next time you need a doctor :duh:

Darcydog 18th March 2019 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 2720058)
I would expect that of a mechanical clock, but an Iphone? I wonder if it lights up or something before it alarms?

I used to give a single ring on the phone, when I got to a few minutes fro home on the way home from work, for the drive gates opening. The dog soon picked up on that.

My thoughts exactly - I don’t think the iPhone SE does anything prior to the alarm itself - but maybe Ella knows different!

Our old Toller also knew when my son was on his way home when he still lived with us. Wherever Keets (our dog) was he would get up and go to the front door.

25 min later my son would pull up on the drive.

Darcydog 18th March 2019 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by 75c (Post 2720067)

Well a trained dog’s nose can detect cancer by simply sniffing a patients urine.

So many thanks - quite a sensible suggestion on your part.....

MSS 18th March 2019 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by 75c (Post 2720067)

Not wishing generalise, but I have had experience of both. Whilst my GP really is excellent, on the whole I would trust the GSD over a doctor every time. His greed is limited to food. :};)

P.S. my late GSD used to calculate Pi to 18 decimal places but was too modest to publish the fact. :cool: