The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The Valeting Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   painted front bumper sill, lacquer question?? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=83909)

baconbuttyman 5th May 2011 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppy (Post 718714)
Hiya. Yes, that is it. If you just bend the tape over so that the sticky side is on the top and the bottom...You can then mask of more of the area when you secure the flappy top bit down with more tape. I always use this method as the paint can then gently "bleed"under the fold without causing a definite build up and a line as you would get if it were just stuck down in a strip..Just have a little practice on something before you spray and you then see what i mean. Poppy

ok tried this method and wow, what a difference on the resulting lines, it almost blends in already.
curing the paint? you mean let i dry through, leave it a day first?? do i do the same for the lacquer/
thanks for your advice Poppy, always tried to avoid painting pannels if i could help it

HarryM1BYT 5th May 2011 17:32

Thanks Poppy.

So do I just walk into a car accessory emporium and ask for a spray can of lacquer?

Poppy 5th May 2011 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by baconbuttyman (Post 718843)
ok tried this method and wow, what a difference on the resulting lines, it almost blends in already.
curing the paint? you mean let i dry through, leave it a day first?? do i do the same for the lacquer/
thanks for your advice Poppy, always tried to avoid painting pannels if i could help it

Hiya. Yes, you must really let the paint cure before applying the lacquer, then let that cure before polishing. It has to "harden" properly if you know what i mean. The only thing that i have found is that the lacquer that we buy off the shelves does not seem to be "hard" enough.....Not like what would be mixed and used in a spray booth. I have looked on the net before now and it seems that K2 lacquer is the best, but it is more expensive. Maybe put a search in and have a look.? You may come up with something you could pass onto me. :shrug: Poppy

baconbuttyman 5th May 2011 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 718853)
Thanks Poppy.

So do I just walk into a car accessory emporium and ask for a spray can of lacquer?

yes you want the clear lacquer, i used hy-cote crystal clear.
leaves a high gloss shine, apply in very thin coats tho as it runs easily. i used a hair dryer on low power to help dry it

baconbuttyman 5th May 2011 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppy (Post 718861)
Hiya. Yes, you must really let the paint cure before applying the lacquer, then let that cure before polishing. It has to "harden" properly if you know what i mean. The only thing that i have found is that the lacquer that we buy off the shelves does not seem to be "hard" enough.....Not like what would be mixed and used in a spray booth. I have looked on the net before now and it seems that K2 lacquer is the best, but it is more expensive. Maybe put a search in and have a look.? You may come up with something you could pass onto me. :shrug: Poppy

ok thanks, tbh i used hy-cote lacquer usually and it leaves a very high gloss shine, used it on a set of crowns.

Poppy 5th May 2011 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by baconbuttyman (Post 718870)
ok thanks, tbh i used hy-cote lacquer usually and it leaves a very high gloss shine, used it on a set of crowns.

Hiya. Well, if you are happy with the results then that is all that matters:). So glad you had a go at it, lots think it a bit daunting, Not that hard if the right preparation and time are taken. Glad you were happy with the bending of the tape method..lol. Always works for me. Poppy

baconbuttyman 5th May 2011 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppy (Post 718877)
Hiya. Well, if you are happy with the results then that is all that matters:). So glad you had a go at it, lots think it a bit daunting, Not that hard if the right preparation and time are taken. Glad you were happy with the bending of the tape method..lol. Always works for me. Poppy

secret is not to rush the job ;)

as well as rolling the tape :D

Poppy 5th May 2011 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by baconbuttyman (Post 718893)
secret is not to rush the job ;)

as well as rolling the tape :D

LMSO....Guess it is....;):D:D:D:D Poppy

HarryM1BYT 5th May 2011 20:38

Well, thanks to both - I might have a go at this at the weekend.

Kearton 10th May 2011 00:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppy (Post 718861)
Hiya. Yes, you must really let the paint cure before applying the lacquer, then let that cure before polishing. It has to "harden" properly if you know what i mean. The only thing that i have found is that the lacquer that we buy off the shelves does not seem to be "hard" enough.....Not like what would be mixed and used in a spray booth. I have looked on the net before now and it seems that K2 lacquer is the best, but it is more expensive. Maybe put a search in and have a look. You may come up with something you could pass onto me. :shrug: Poppy

When I had some painting done by a repair company, they put the car in some sort of an oven after painting, which presumably cured / hardened it more quickly. I still had to wait a couple of weeks for chemicals (plasticiser, thinners or similar I assume) to leave it completely before they would put on the Diamondbrite paint coating.

Kearton