The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Drivers window “screech” at the top of travel (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=292546)

David Lawrence 3rd February 2019 15:16

Drivers window “screech” at the top of travel

My drivers window makes a horrible screeching noise as it drops the first few inches, and same when it goes back up. I cant see anything obvious scratching on the glass, and the noise seems to come from the top of the door frame, not where it enters the door itself. Any ideas?

Lee T 3rd February 2019 15:19

Mine does that and I've not yet worked out why. I have tried a spray lube but it's still the same. Does your window drop a little over a few days of no use like mine does? Lee.

David Lawrence 3rd February 2019 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee T (Post 2708270)
Mine does that and I've not yet worked out why. I have tried a spray lube but it's still the same. Does your window drop a little over a few days of no use like mine does? Lee.

No it doesnt drop Lee. I assumed it was ice in the channel at first, but all thawed out and it still does it. A recent development on mine. The noise goes right through me.

Lee T 3rd February 2019 15:27

I agree David it's not a nice sound, like fingers down a blackboard my mate described it as. I've got to change my regulator soon and I'm going to lube every moving part in there, so if I have any luck with that I'll let you know. Lee.

Brunty 3rd February 2019 15:52

Same problem with Moonstone, sprayed all the channels and rubbers with silicone spray a couple of weeks ago and still there. Also noticed recently that although is opens quickly, when closing, the one shot does not work and I have to keep lifting window switch to get it to close a bit at a time. Waiting to talk to the experts at next nano meet.

RogerHeinz57 3rd February 2019 21:00

Your not alone ! Mine does the same, I suspect that when the glass gets removed there is likely to be some witness marks somewhere that will give the game away.

steveo 4th February 2019 04:34

Noise

Hi all
I had a problem with this and after hours of searching for the source I found it to be below the window rubber .

The noise was coming from the mechanism below the seal (inside car)

I found it by accident in the end by squirting WD40 (using straw) down onto the mechanism and moving the straw while spraying the width of the window .I

Downside
If the WD 40 goes on the glass it take time to clean but no screeching noise

Steve

markypicks 4th February 2019 18:50

could the door frame be slightly out of alignment at the top ?

marinabrian 4th February 2019 19:12

This is caused by trapped grit in the waist seal, when the door glass comes toward the end of it's stroke, the pressure increases between the glass and the contaminated seal.

The noise is the grit scoring the glass ;)

With the window wound fully down, use a 6" steel rule with a damp cloth wrapped around it to clean the inner seal face, once the offending gunge is cleaned off, the noise will abate.

Brian :D

steveo 4th February 2019 19:46

Brian

This was not the case with my issue,no scratches on window and the seals were cleaned with a piece of thin plastic and wipes on a regular basis.
I thought initially it was to do with wind deflector stainless clips but when the deflectors removed the noise continued.

As mentioned above I found it to be below the seal on the regulator or where the glass is secured but as with anything not all cases are the same

I would be interested to find out what the outcome is from the opening

Regards
Steve