The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   V8 Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   fuel tank sealing ring found under rear seat (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=11428)

black olive 5th November 2007 13:45

fuel tank sealing ring found under rear seat

Id noticed one side of the rear seat quab wasnt clipped down at the front, so had a go at refitting the squab properly.
I removed and lifted the squab altogether and found the follwing items.

1 cartoon hamster cut off a cereal packet
1 cartoon beaver cut off a cereal packet
1 WD 40 red straw ( useful !!;))

1 black fuel tank cap sealing ring :eek:

Now Im hoping this means that the fuel filter orange clip has been done previously, and they decided not to fit a new sealing ring ( the ring does look unused)
alternatively it could mean the orange clip has been done and they havent refitted a sealing ring- guess what Im doing when the fuel level is sufficiently low !!

Christopher 5th November 2007 13:48

... are you sure it wasn't the hamster and beaver trying to burrow into your fuel tank??!? Straw could have been used to gulp up the high-octane??

:getmecoat:

GreyGhost 5th November 2007 13:49

Without the sealing ring you'd have fumes in the cabin and no fuel at the engine, Unless the engine is so powerful it's just sucking fuel through regardless. :D

black olive 5th November 2007 13:51

:D
thats reassured me slightly GG !

Im thinking theyve just reused the old ring but will be checking at weekend to make sure.

Jules 5th November 2007 13:51

If they can't even replace the seat properly, good plan to check everything including your wheel nuts;)
The only sure way to make sure you have no leaks at the top of the fuel tank (once you've finished fiddling with the O ring retainer)
is to fill to the brim and then find a suitable slope to lean the car over to passenger side to make sure no fuel is seaping.

When satisfied replace the manhole cover and seat.
Alternatively a suitable method of pressurising the tank a small amount to check for leaks.

ragitty 5th November 2007 14:11

I had my car checked last week at my local rover dealer because I could smell petrol fumes after filling her up to the top for the first time since buying it, apparently the tank sealing ring was twisted so not sealing properly, also my petrol consumption was diabolical i.e. used 3/4 tank of petrol (seepage)and only covered 170 miles,

All seems well now, whilst it was in the workshop I got them to check that the orange clip was on the filter which it was, no smell of petrol now and I have done 57 miles since the repair was carried out needle just dropped slightly from the full position excellent result.

black olive 5th November 2007 14:27

Quote:

used 3/4 tank of petrol and only covered 170 miles,

try owning a v8, you will find that average ;):D

ragitty 5th November 2007 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by black olive (Post 102837)
try owning a v8, you will find that average ;):D

Errrrrr no thanks:D

Jules 5th November 2007 16:39

I only do 100 miles per Month so the V8 MPG isn't an issue:drool4:
In fact we are thinking of getting a Horse & Cart! (like to see the Government Tax the Hay)

pmessling 5th November 2007 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by julesbass (Post 102908)
I only do 100 miles per Month so the V8 MPG isn't an issue:drool4:
In fact we are thinking of getting a Horse & Cart! (like to see the Government Tax the Hay)

they would probably try if they could make money out of it