The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Increase in Catalytic Converter thefts (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299389)

Darcydog 21st September 2019 07:17

Increase in Catalytic Converter thefts

The BBC reports a “huge increase” in catalytic converter thefts due to a jump in the price of precious metals - Rhodium now goes for £4000 an ounce apparently.

Interestingly it looks like our cars are pretty much safe as the thieves want “clean” cats and so are targeting Hybrid cars as their cats are used less.

sworks 21st September 2019 07:25

I’ve read about an increase in reported thefts online on a few ‘tech’ groups I’m in with customers complaining of blowing exhausts etc. Luckily not seen any myself as there not cheap to buy.

kelvo 21st September 2019 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcydog (Post 2763554)
The BBC reports a “huge increase” in catalytic converter thefts due to a jump in the price of precious metals - Rhodium now goes for £4000 an ounce apparently.

Interestingly it looks like our cars are pretty much safe as the thieves want “clean” cats and so are targeting Hybrid cars as their cats are used less.

Nope, had the cat stolen off of my ZT late year whilst it was parked outside.

They clearly had to jack the car up to get at it as I couldn't even scramble underneath to find out what had gone wrong.

I also had trouble getting a replacement as you can't get the front section anymore - the pattern part I got was just single skin and didn't have holes for both sensors. Ended up getting a good second hand section from a trader on here.

Lancpudn 21st September 2019 07:48

They don't even bother to steal them under cover of darkness around here, they just pull up to the car in broad daylight and take it off in under two minutes :eek:They know full well PC Plod isn't going to show up any time soon :devil:.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/reso...e=article-full

Darcydog 21st September 2019 07:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvo (Post 2763557)
Nope, had the cat stolen off of my ZT late year whilst it was parked outside.

They clearly had to jack the car up to get at it as I couldn't even scramble underneath to find out what had gone wrong.

I also had trouble getting a replacement as you can't get the front section anymore - the pattern part I got was just single skin and didn't have holes for both sensors. Ended up getting a good second hand section from a trader on here.

Hmmm - sorry to hear that. I was hoping an unattractive “cat” was yet another advantage to owning one of our cars :shrug:

Mickyboy 21st September 2019 07:53

As I weigh them in due to my breaking, I should let all 1.8T model owners know that their cats are the most valuable ones and probably the easiest ones to cut off, I won’t publicly name the tool in case anybody looking in got any ideas but I can take the cat off in sub 5 mins with this tool, next is the diesels but all this is only if they are original OEM cats, aftermarket ones are worth about £8

Keep your eyes peeled people as Cat prices are rising
Hope that helps
Mick

Canonite 21st September 2019 07:57

I’ve read about people fitting a brackets around it or welding it to the car just to make it more difficult to steal. Some cars cats are much easier to steal than others so I’m not sure where 75/ZT sits on that list

Mickyboy 21st September 2019 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canonite (Post 2763563)
I’ve read about people fitting a brackets around it or welding it to the car just to make it more difficult to steal. Some cars cats are much easier to steal than others so I’m not sure where 75/ZT sits on that list

Because of the type of tool I haven’t named for obvious reasons it’s not a power tool so very quiet and cuts through it quite easy, there’s not a lot you can do to protect it, however our cars are not a particular target because most people would’ve expected them to have had the original cat replaced by now, parking it as close to a high curb as possible is probably one of the best measures you can take to stop it being cut off because it means they would have to access it from the roadside, as entering from the front at the engine is very difficult and entering it from the back is not practical.
Mick

Russel 22nd September 2019 12:08

We live in a street where there are some unfavorable people and our local council have switched off all street lights at midnight and there activity has increased

clf 22nd September 2019 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancpudn (Post 2763559)
They don't even bother to steal them under cover of darkness around here, they just pull up to the car in broad daylight and take it off in under two minutes :eek:They know full well PC Plod isn't going to show up any time soon :devil:.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/reso...e=article-full

There was a viral video doing the rounds last year. Scumbags in moving traffic, stopped beside a shogun, blocking the traffic crawled under and were away in about a minute.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk