The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   E10 fuel. Federation of British Historical Vehicle Clubs statement (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=312325)

stocktake 12th April 2021 14:19

E10 fuel. Federation of British Historical Vehicle Clubs statement

Introduction of E10 petrol
After an extensive consultation process, the Department for Transport has announced that they will legislate to introduce E10 petrol as the standard 95-octane petrol grade by 1 September 2021. They will also require the higher-octane 97+ ‘Super’ grades to remain E5 to provide protection for owners of older vehicles. This product will be designated as the ‘Protection’ grade.

The introduction of the 95-octane E10 grade and the maintenance of the Super E5 protection grade will be reviewed by the Government after 5 years to ensure they remain appropriate to the needs of the market:

In relation to the E5 protection grade, such a review will examine market developments over the period.
HM Government have sought to reassure FBHVC members and historic vehicle owners that, without a suitable alternative becoming available, it is highly likely the Super E5 protection grade would continue to be available.
Filling stations that stock 2 grades of petrol and supply at least one million litres of fuel in total each year will need to ensure one product is the Super E5 protection grade. While not all filling stations meet these criteria, almost all towns across the UK will have a filling station that supplies the ‘Super’ grade and currently one major retailer, a national supermarket group, has committed to offer the product. The main exception to this is in certain parts of the Highlands, north and west coast of Scotland, which will be covered by an exemption process and allowed to continue to market the 95-octane E5 grade.

The Federation therefore recommends that all vehicles produced before 2000 and some vehicles from the early 2000s that are considered non-compatible with E10 - should use the Super E5 Protection grade where the Ethanol content is limited to a maximum of 5%. To check compatibility of vehicles produced since 2000, we recommend using the new online E10 compatibility checker:
https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol .
It should be noted that some Super E5 Protection grade products do not contain Ethanol as the E5 designation is for fuels containing up to 5% Ethanol. Similarly E10 petrol can contain between 5.5% and 10% ethanol by volume. Product availability varies by manufacturer and geographical location and enthusiasts should check the situation in their location.

trikey 12th April 2021 15:05

E10 fuel. Federation of British Historical Vehicle Clubs statement

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...575e47a569.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...625e265c26.jpg

BRG75 12th April 2021 15:05

That sounds like a positive move.
An exception for the highlands also appears to be a sensible move / compromise.

I confess that I have only followed this issue from a bit of a distance, but hope that I haven't misunderstood the announcement.

Regards

Mike

roverbarmy 12th April 2021 15:49

If you check for Land Rover, you get this:-

"
Land Rover

E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Land Rover vehicles with petrol engines starting from model year 1996."

As we use the same engines, it should follow that we should be OK on E10.;)

chris75 12th April 2021 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2876405)
If you check for Land Rover, you get this:-

"
Land Rover

E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Land Rover vehicles with petrol engines starting from model year 1996."

As we use the same engines, it should follow that we should be OK on E10.;)

That is certainly good news for the engine end of things :}, but what do we think about the fuel tank end and all the gubbins in there ? Anything at risk ? :shrug:

steve-45 12th April 2021 16:06

I did read somewhere that E10 is more hydroscopic than E5, and if left in the fuel tank for an extended period of time will pick up more water.

Need to bear this in mind if laying up your vehicle for the winter.

Dorset Bob 12th April 2021 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by stocktake (Post 2876391)
Introduction of E10 petrol

Thanks Dave, that has prompted me to write to Esso again.
At present, the Esso Supreme petrol is ethanol free in this neck of the woods, and I want to check if it will remain so, after the introduction of E10.

My concern is the fuel system on my Daytona.

SD1too 12th April 2021 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-45 (Post 2876407)
... E10 is more hydroscopic ...

I know what you mean Steve and it's strange that the term is actually hygroscopic. :shrug: Just for the record!

Simon

torque2me 12th April 2021 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorset Bob (Post 2876408)
Thanks Dave, that has prompted me to write to Esso again.
At present, the Esso Supreme petrol is ethanol free in this neck of the woods, and I want to check if it will remain so, after the introduction of E10.

My concern is the fuel system on my Daytona.

Not in my neck of the woods (Hertford). I'll check with regard to Hatfield if we still have an Esso presence. I know that at the start of the A5 there is a big Esso site but it is all E5.

Kev

Robson Rover Repair 12th April 2021 22:40

Also no one seems to be mentioning the how e10 95 Ron unleaded will actually increase fuel bills as its less fuel efficient than e5 95 ron unleaded.

Ethanol isn’t as energy dense as petrol, which means that the fuel-air mix could be leaner and in an car that can't adjust itself. Its been proven plenty in Australia where they have had 10% ethanol 95 Ron since 2017 and fuel economy has dropped nationwide!

Like a 1.8 k series that don't have a knock sensor which is why unless it's mapped anything other than 95 Ron is a waste in them.

Nice way of looking like its better for the world, when it's only better for the petrol companies and the tax man.

Oh and don't forget ethanol absolutely destroys catalyst systems, so expect some expensive repairs when people start failing annual emissions suddenly!

Nice way of seing old cars scraped by the average owner who won't understand.

Exactly the same fiasco thats happened with biodiesel.