The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Broken bonnet release cable (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=298880)

walker99 1st September 2019 19:00

Broken bonnet release cable

HELP
Had MGZT for 12 years now and managed most things, usually following help from here. Today cannot open bonnet. I have accessed joint box in driver wheel arch, and managed to release offside but nearside cable had snapped and complete inner slid out of outer. Can anybody tell me how to release catch without getting brutally rough?

Thanks
Stuart

Simondi 1st September 2019 19:35

You have a pm;)

Rich in Vancouver 5th September 2019 04:09

On my car a previous owner had the same issue.
One catch released and the other did not.
He used a Sawzall (don't recall what you brits call them) with a long metal cutting blade and cut the pin off.
There was a bit of collateral damage to the slam panel and minor scarring to the edge of the bonnet, but he did get it open!

MissMoppet 5th September 2019 08:27

Reminds me of an occasion some years ago when touring in Ireland when I was driving a friend's car and managed to shut the keys in the car. A slight crack was left in one window but we couldn't catch the release button with a bent coat hanger borrowed from a nearby shop. A young urchin was watching with some curiousity and after our failures offered to help. Within a couple of minutes he had the door open: tempted to think he was the local car thief . . .

LightBlue 14th February 2020 15:15

I have exactly the same problem (plus faulty windscreen washer). I have ordered a new set of cables, but how do I get the bonnet open when the nearside catch cannot be released.

stocktake 14th February 2020 15:55

We have had to do this at a nano meet last year. Wedge open the side that has released with a block of wood or similar and protect the bonnet where the pin that will not release is positioned with masking tape or similar. Through the narrow gap carefully saw through the stuck pin with a senior hacksaw blade. When open replace the pin and remove the lock assy and cable by removing the slam panel.

bl52krz 14th February 2020 19:29

Yes Dave. I remember that taking place. Easy when you know how.

Arctic 14th February 2020 20:36

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by stocktake (Post 2793140)
We have had to do this at a nano meet last year. Wedge open the side that has released with a block of wood or similar and protect the bonnet where the pin that will not release is positioned with masking tape or similar. Through the narrow gap carefully saw through the stuck pin with a senior hacksaw blade. When open replace the pin and remove the lock assy and cable by removing the slam panel.

Hi Dave.
many hands make light work, team work is the key to most things ;)

Graham E 15th February 2020 11:07

I have the same problem.
Drivers side has released but passenger side hasn't

Cable has snapped as it slides out of the outer cover.

Gone in through the wheel arch method but as cable has snapped it don't work.

Dont really want to cut the pin is there another way?
or is it rip to the pin

Car is MG ZT-T

Thanks