The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   ZT-T 190 disappearing oil? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=298597)

PC2 22nd August 2019 11:58

ZT-T 190 disappearing oil?

I know I've been on about this before, and thought I'd discovered the problems and solution with weeping cam end seals and covers (now replaced) but....

Ok, my 190 has just done 61K. No rattles, no knocking, VIS working, pulls really well, very smooth, regularly serviced, no sign of oil leaks around engine or undertray, no smokey exhaust, no burning oil smells, no evidence of excessive oil in the breather pipes or air filter pipe, I follow the correct dipstick procedure, yet it is using about 1 litre of oil per 1800 miles.

Logic says the oil is going somewhere. It's going to send me completely mad. Yes I can keep topping up, but surely this is a sign of something not right and potentially serious. I fear this is going to break me.

Any more thoughts and ideas gratefully received!

SD1too 22nd August 2019 12:27

So Paul, the level on the dipstick reads 'max' and after 1,800 miles it reads 'min', have I got that right?

The scale on my dipstick is black plastic which makes seeing the level virtually impossible. I therefore press it against a sheet of kitchen towel to see the reading. If your dipstick is the same, you might like to try that.
Here is the MG Rover procedure again.

But there can only be three ways your engine can use oil:
  • It's leaking and you haven't found the source yet. Have you removed the undertray and inspected underneath with a powerful torch?
  • The engine is burning it.
  • You're misreading the dipstick.

Oil can't just disappear! Car maintenance can be very frustrating and mysterious at times. ;)

Simon

COLVERT 22nd August 2019 14:34

If you can find no external leaks then it's probably getting past the piston rings and getting burnt.

One litre in 1800 miles won't show as a smoky exhaust.--;)

PC2 22nd August 2019 17:05

Thanks Simon
Yes oil check as per instruction.
Dipstic is actually green on this car.
I've checked the oil so many times now, the results the same.

Colvert - if the oil was getting past the rings and burning, I think there would be tell tale signs on the exhaust pipe and also you are likely not to have the performance and probably some rattle/vibration.
The engine is tight and fast and feels like a 60k engine should.
I know i might be wrong, but this is the third ZT-T ive had (190, 180, 190) and the fastest and smoothest.
If the rings are a problem, is there an easy test other than a compression test?

Thanks

Phil-T4 22nd August 2019 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by PC2 (Post 2757014)
If the rings are a problem, is there an easy test other than a compression test?

Yes, its called a leak down test

PC2 22nd August 2019 17:55

Thanks Phil - i don't think that's any easier, or cheaper!

COLVERT 23rd August 2019 19:01

The thing is, that it's quite a lot of oil to vanish without leaving quite a large trace somewhere which is why I suggested that it might be getting burnt.

It could be something else but if it was slight wear on the rings that would not make any noise at all.

Good luck with your search.---;)

PC2 23rd August 2019 20:09

Colvert - yes I really can't think of any other solution to this other than a very high pressure leak somewhere that may be being burnt off on the manifold or similar, but there is no evidence. So perhaps it is the rings, and maybe its always been like it.
I suppose I just don't like the thought of burning oil, and the engine certainly doesn't seem to lack compression, and its only just hit 62K. I also hate leaving a mystery unsolved, but maybe I should just carry on topping up with oil every 1000 miles or so and stop worrying about it.
I wonder whether the emissions test could pick up burning a bit of oil?

T-Cut 23rd August 2019 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by PC2 (Post 2757364)
I wonder whether the emissions test could pick up burning a bit of oil?

I'd have thought so. They test for hydrocarbons in the exhaust. This is basically unburned fuel, but with oil going in as well, I'd expect that reading to go asymptotic.

TC

COLVERT 24th August 2019 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Cut (Post 2757386)
I'd have thought so. They test for hydrocarbons in the exhaust. This is basically unburned fuel, but with oil going in as well, I'd expect that reading to go asymptotic.

TC

Or perhaps leaving it, as an exponential oil leak must show itself eventually.

:p:----:D