The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Out of the blue non starting CDTi (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=287549)

STUBIE 28th August 2018 19:48

Out of the blue non starting CDTi

My CDTi will not start - it just turns over.

This has come out of the blue after a local paint chap having it for a week for some smart repairs.

He said he found it difficult to start and when I collected it took about 3 attempts but once started I drove home Ok. After moving it around in front of the house it was getting harder to start and now just wont start at all.

I have just changed the fuel filter and have about a 3rd of a tank.

I hear a buzzing from the under bonnet pump so something is happening.

I have had a little pooling of diesel around the injectors a few weeks ago when the car was starting Ok which I tightened up and this has not got any worse but could be a factor.

I have ordered a 2nd hand IT UBP and a cam sensor just to rule these out.

Anyone close to Peterborough that could spare some time at the weekend to help me resolve the issue?

Stubs

Rogue 28th August 2018 19:54

Try getting someone to tap the UBP while you try and start her...

paul d 28th August 2018 19:58

Have a listen for the In Tank Pump as well, check the flow of fuel from the UBP to the fuel filter, should be a good flow not spurts.

Other issues can be the o ring on the regulator on the HP pump.

I've also in the past had starting issues caused by the Cam Sensor.

Regards

Paul

wullie480 28th August 2018 20:11

Sounds like the intank pump has given up the ghost,

have a listen under the rear seat and also as suggested check the flow.

STUBIE 29th August 2018 19:30

Tried seeing what was coming thru the UBP and there wasn't a lot.

Went back and tried hitting the pump as it was priming and the note changed and I could here motion in the pipe to the filter, after that it successfully started with a bit of pedal.

So as stated looks like a replacement UBP will sort the issue.

Hope it comes before the weekend.

Any how to's on the forum on changing the Under bonnet pump.

Stubs

bl52krz 30th August 2018 19:48

Before you change the under bonnet pump, take the electrical connector off the top of the pump, and put some Vaseline on the connections and push the connector in and off a few times. Was told I needed a new ubp about 8 years ago, and after doing the above with Vaseline
, the new pump is still in the boot. Cost’s nothing to try it.

bl52krz 30th August 2018 19:57

Try the Engine &Technical section,then Artic has done a how-to,4th one down.Bit fiddley but easy enough.

STUBIE 30th August 2018 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 2665130)
Before you change the under bonnet pump, take the electrical connector off the top of the pump, and put some Vaseline on the connections and push the connector in and off a few times. Was told I needed a new ubp about 8 years ago, and after doing the above with Vaseline
, the new pump is still in the boot. Cost’s nothing to try it.

Yep have tried that but no go, only when hotting the pump did the car start.

Stubs

STUBIE 5th September 2018 15:52

Well I replaced the UBP with a working 2nd hand unit and replaced the CAM sensor with a new patterned part made by Lemark.

However still struggling to start a bit - maybe tales 2 or 3 times with plenty of accelerator.

Once it's going it fine.

Anyone got any suggestions where next, would it run Ok if the ITP was duff and it had more than a quarter tank and would this cause problems starting.

Stubs

dave lincs 6th September 2018 08:25

Do a injector leak back test :D