The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Engine juddering (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=290216)

KevF6 16th November 2018 15:49

Engine juddering

I hope someone can help!

I am getting a juddering from the engine, you can feel it almost slightly misfiring at idle and you can see the needle slightly moving up and down. Also when I’m driving it judders at times for example when pulling away and even just cruising at the same speed. It doesn’t do it all the time and is intermittent, sometimes all gears sometimes just one. Basically when I push the accelerator down (even really gently).

It’s really doing my head in not knowing what it is - it almost feels like fuel starvation? I thought it might be the lower engine mount but that was changed today and it’s still the same!

Argh!

gazcaz 16th November 2018 16:44

Check your idle control valve ,broken vacuum lines and plugs.mine made a difference when i serviced my idle valve...

KevF6 16th November 2018 18:34

Thanks for the reply!

Would you be able to give a bit more detail as I have no idea what you mean! Sorry for being dim.

Thanks

Kev

Comfortably Numb 16th November 2018 18:55

It will be on the air plenum box , near the throttle. It allows a small amount of air to bypass the throttle valve to keep the engine running at idle. Surprised if it would cause those symptoms. Sounds more like failing injector, spark plug(s) or plug lead(s). Start it up in the dark, open the bonnet, and rev it from under the bonnet. See if you can see electrical sparks jumping about. It may tend to be worse in damp, dewy weather.

Comfortably Numb 16th November 2018 18:59

PS Sorry. Failing spark due to break down of plug nose insulation would not show under the bonnet, but the plug spark is so weak, the fuel injection drowns it, usually at lower revs with foot down, so the fuel does not ignite properly.

COLVERT 16th November 2018 19:41

Crankshaft pulley beginning to fail ?????

Will judder in all gears and revs.

SD1too 17th November 2018 07:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2687196)
Crankshaft pulley beginning to fail ?

Not on a KV6 Jon. That delight is the preserve of the diesel! ;)

Kev, does your car have a manual gearbox?
Another real possibility is 'fuel filter syndrome'. Do you have the orange clip fitted?

Simon

KevF6 17th November 2018 10:06

Thanks for the replies chaps, it is a manual Simon - what orange clip and where is it lol?

Thanks

Kev

SD1too 17th November 2018 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevF6 (Post 2687357)
... what orange clip and where is it?

It can be fitted to the fuel filter to prevent the two halves of the casing loosening in service. When this happens fuel pressure is reduced and the engine falters or stops. The filter is located under the rear seat cushion on the passenger side. For further reading, search for 'FFS' or 'Fuel filter syndrome'.
Quote:

... it is a manual Simon ..
Thanks. It also occurred to me that your clutch friction plate might need renewing.

Simon

championdaddy 17th November 2018 16:47

I too think it is drive train related.

The car still starts great so I doubt the clip is to blame.

Seems to happen under load if you labour the engine ( high gear, low speed)

So I agree with SD1too........... could be fly wheel