The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tazu clutch master cylinder (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=191707)

zony 6th August 2014 19:09

Tazu clutch master cylinder

I fitted a new Tazu clutch master cylinder today dodging the rain showers.

Total fitting and bleeding time 3 hours.

Getting old cylinder out is fairly easy, in one piece. Separated in line valve with two chisel edges.

Hard part is getting the pipe bent in the right shape, very tight at the back of the cylinder. Be prepared for scratched arms and a lot of swearing. When filling and re-filling reservoir during bleeding its best to use a small bottle like a kids bubble pot or a Yakult jobbie.

Best thing is the reservoir is opaque enough to see the fluid level. I have used the seal from the old cylinder and cut the teat off it so that it allows more fluid in the reservoir. I can now keep an eye on it checking the level regularly, as I am not sure if its the slave at fault. I bled the system about 6 weeks ago and lost clutch pedal about 4 weeks later. The fluid in the old cylinder reservoir was grey. Not sure where that's from as it was new fluid.

Also plastic ring on the in line valve has a split in it. Is this normal

Fingers crossed its not the slave. That was a new Luk one 2 years ago.

andre372 6th August 2014 19:19

The rubber seal isn't actually there to seal the cap but to seal the fluid from the outer environment.
A small hint: you may get a squeaking pedal after a while, some silicone spray between the piston arm and its rubber grommet helps against this.
Hope the slave is okay!

Ched 6th August 2014 22:13

I got the new master from Andy willi on here and what a gem it is.
It took me about an hour to swap it around, no fiddling with having to bend / remove pipework and no bleeding either, the hardest and longest part was putting the allen bolts in.
Well chuffed with it.:D

HarryM1BYT 7th August 2014 04:44

+1..

..and for the benefit of Andy - it is still performing as I originally described it, puuurfect.

It is always a good idea when replacing one part of the clutch hydraulics, to give the entire system a good flush through with fresh fluid to get all of the debris out, rather than risk the new part suffering premature wear.

marts66 7th August 2014 12:24

This is something that I think I'm going to have to do. I have had a new DMF, slave and clutch fitted but if I sit at trafic lights with my foot on the clutch it doesn't return all the way to the top, same happens if I 'ride' the clutch when manouvering but then comes back and is fine if I lift it with my foot. If I take my foot of the clutch completely at lights, gear changes or manouvering it doesn't happen. The clutch has been 'back bled', i.e. through the bleed nipple and has so far covered 200+ miles (touches wood and prays)

Mike Noc 7th August 2014 12:49

Mate the one thing you don't do with these cars is sit with the engine running and your foot on the clutch. ;) :D

marts66 7th August 2014 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 1752080)
Mate the one thing you don't do with these cars is sit with the engine running and your foot on the clutch. ;) :D

Are they all the same then, I thought it was just coz I needed a master :shrug:

HarryM1BYT 7th August 2014 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by marts66 (Post 1752092)
Are they all the same then, I thought it was just coz I needed a master :shrug:

With either old or new master, I could if I wanted sit with my foot on the clutch. There is no inherent fault which would prevent it, but it is really not a good thing to do in any car.

It does sound as if one cylinder or the other is failing. Likely if no fluid is being lost, it will be the master piston allowing fluid past it due to wear.

gritbox 29th February 2016 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 1752080)

really?

how come?

T16 29th February 2016 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by gritbox (Post 2229984)
really?

how come?

Because you are applying pressure to the clutch plate, and you are wearing out the release bearing at the same time.

Never, ever do this!