The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   KV6 Lower Engine Mount removal query (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=293162)

grout20 20th February 2019 21:03

KV6 Lower Engine Mount removal query.. SORTED

1 Attachment(s)
Evening all,

Crawling underneath the car changing oil and filter the other day, I thought I'd remove the lower engine mount to check it and replace if required. As you do ...

Heat shield off and both engine mount bolts loosened eezy peezy!

Then I noticed that the bolt through the larger end of the mount is in line with a sensor attached to the exhaust (see attached picture .... apologies if it appears upside down :duh: )

So the query is .... is there enough space to remove/wiggle that bolt past that sensor?

I've assumed you can't "swing" the engine a bit to make some room as the exhaust would swing with it? :shrug:

I'm talking 2.5 V6 here, not the 1.8 or Diesel.

Anyone changed the mount on the V6 with the same sensor?

All advice/experience welcome

Happy Roving!

John

trikey 20th February 2019 21:08

Yes, done a few of them, you have to lever the engine a little to allow the bolt to move.

Some are worse than others for some reason??

grout20 20th February 2019 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2713270)
Yes, done a few of them, you have to lever the engine a little to allow the bolt to move.

Some are worse than others for some reason??

Ok, thanks for that.

I thought (briefly!) about removing the sensor but it looks like it's been there since 2001 and I'd hate to disturb it!

:D:D

John

trikey 20th February 2019 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by grout20 (Post 2713280)
Ok, thanks for that.

I thought (briefly!) about removing the sensor but it looks like it's been there since 2001 and I'd hate to disturb it!

John

From memory, the head of the bolt still catches on the threaded flange where the lambda sensor fits.

Im not sure why some come out with ease and some foul on the sensor?

Beena wild 22nd February 2019 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by grout20 (Post 2713280)
Ok, thanks for that.

John

I did mine last week and removed the Lambada (love that tune) sensor for easier access. No trouble after refitting and my MOT equivalent passed yesterday :D

p2roverman 22nd February 2019 18:01

I changed the lower mount when I did the belts and other jobs. Don't remember an issue with the bolt fouling the sensor.

COLVERT 22nd February 2019 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by p2roverman (Post 2713796)
I changed the lower mount when I did the belts and other jobs. Don't remember an issue with the bolt fouling the sensor.

Dementia gets us all in the end.---:duh::duh::duh:

grout20 24th February 2019 14:15

Up or down?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi again

As expected that bolt EXACTLY lines up with the sensor so I can't slide it out to remove the mount! :duh:

Picture attached

The whole engine/exhaust can pivot (a little bit) up and a bit down, but will need a hefty push to give me any chance of sliding out that bolt..... and I really want to minimise the risk of doing damage elsewhere when I do that.

Any tips of which way to lever the engine .... up or down?

Cheers

John

grout20 24th February 2019 18:37

Sorted!

2 Attachment(s)
Hi again

Answering my own question .... I levered the engine downwards to make room above the sensor to wiggle the bolt out.

In case it can help anyone else, attached picture shows the crowbar in position to lever the engine. I hooked a crowbar on to the top of the bracket on the auto gearbox that holds the gear change cable.

And a pic of the old (original) mount I removed .... and obviously in need of replacement (63,000 miles)

Not surprisingly, noticeably smoother gear changes now, and hardly any movement of the engine when engaging Drive or Reverse.

I was going to measure the Resistance on the 2/4 Brake Solenoid as per info in other threads on here, but probably not really needed now. So my new solenoid and gasket can stay in my "Just in Case" box for now!
:}

Cheers

John

Arctic 25th February 2019 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by grout20 (Post 2714496)
Hi again

Answering my own question .... I levered the engine downwards to make room above the sensor to wiggle the bolt out.

In case it can help anyone else, attached picture shows the crowbar in position to lever the engine. I hooked a crowbar on to the top of the bracket on the auto gearbox that holds the gear change cable.

Quote:

And a pic of the old (original) mount I removed .... and obviously in need of replacement (63,000 miles)
Not surprisingly, noticeably smoother gear changes now, and hardly any movement of the engine when engaging Drive or Reverse.

I was going to measure the Resistance on the 2/4 Brake Solenoid as per info in other threads on here, but probably not really needed now. So my new solenoid and gasket can stay in my "Just in Case" box for now!
:}

Cheers

John

Hi John.
From the photo we can see it is the original mount as it as the Letter P what did you replace it with ? were you able to get hold of another original mount with the letter P as I have never seen any about.

I have heard of some members removing lambada sensor to help with removing the bolt but as you can see from your own photo it is the weld that stops it, so levering the engine is the best way, they are awkward.