The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Urgent help required ! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=262690)

Stevecornwall 26th February 2017 13:38

Hi all,just started up my beloved 75,2002,auto,diesel and it literally jolted into gear when put in drive.didnt think too much of it as it sometimes does that when cold.but thinking about now,never like it did then...driving along and the whole car jolted as it went into 2nd...drive it about and it's basically jolting through the gears and almost like a mini "engine break" type thing when changing too.absolutely the wrong time for me to have some major repairs done.iv heard it maybe a fluid problem or solenoid problem? Read on another post where someone said it could be fluid and if it is it's too late as the damage is done?any advice would be very much appreciated and thank u in advance!

Forgot to add that it came on suddenly,no warning or indication that there is a problem

Alan123 26th February 2017 14:38

That will be your 2/4 duty brake soliniod

Have a look in how to section under jatco auto box

It's a simple job and needs a few basic tools to do the job

Stevecornwall 26th February 2017 15:27

Alan123 thanks for the advice mate,I'm a fairly new when it comes to the old diy car repairs,worth a trip to the garage or is it really that simple? Least I can tell them exactly what the problem is anyway!

On another note,would that show up a diagnostic check?

Alan123 26th February 2017 16:14

Just be careful with garages they usually tell you it needs a new box

But the box doesn't have to come out just have to take inspection cover off the front of the box
But do take time to look in the how to section it is very helpful

Stevecornwall 26th February 2017 16:44

Thanks for the advice pal,my garage has a fellow rover enthusiast so I'll see what he says,if not,me and the father in law will have to have a go

Alan123 26th February 2017 17:07

Seriously mate it is a simple task
And if you jack it up slightly you won't loose any box oil when you take cover off.

sworks 26th February 2017 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevecornwall (Post 2453753)
On another note,would that show up a diagnostic check?

It generally shows up as a fault on T4, you can also check the resistance of the solenoid at the main connector under the bonnet

Stevecornwall 26th February 2017 18:35

Thanks guys,this forum is awesome

Dragrad 26th February 2017 22:03

Thread moved to a more appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old. This may be the better forum as threads get ‘lost’ very quickly in the General Forum.;)

Stevecornwall 27th February 2017 14:45

Just an update really,went to a mechanic mate of mine that I trust,who plugged I his diagnostics equipment and it said,as you've all correctly predicted,that it's the 2/4 brake duty solenoid....sourced a replacement which will be here 3-5 days and cost a little short of £80...only thing is now,the mechanic hasn't done a job like that before,so I'm going to have a go myself.can anyone send me a link to decent "how to guide?" Please?all your help has and is Much appreciated guys,thanks again,will update how easy or hard I found the job!