The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   “Clutch” Failure (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=306003)

Mike523152 30th June 2020 16:15

If anyone else has any thoughts on how long this job should take as I am in all likelihood going to have a bust up with the garage. I have AA parts and breakdown cover up to £ 500, if they have taken a minimum of 7 hours so far and not fixed it, no news back as to when the car will be ready, despite being told it will be finished today on several occasions, then labour alone is in all likelihood use the whole of the cover.

stocktake 1st July 2020 06:06

I would have thought they can only charge "rover book time" regardless of how long it actually takes them. there will be a few on here who could perhaps provide that info for you.

trikey 1st July 2020 10:25

I haven’t got access to the book time at the moment as I’m at work, I can change the clutch in around six hours, this includes removing the front subframe too.

I do like to take longer, as I stop for several cups of coffee, bear in mind this is working alone on a driveway, if I had access to garage facilities it would be a bit quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike523152 1st July 2020 13:11

Extortion

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2822198)
I haven’t got access to the book time at the moment as I’m at work, I can change the clutch in around six hours, this includes removing the front subframe too.

I do like to take longer, as I stop for several cups of coffee, bear in mind this is working alone on a driveway, if I had access to garage facilities it would be a bit quicker.

Just had a call from the garage, cause of problem is the slave cylinder failing, consequence, DMF, master cylinder, clutch and slave cylinder all need replacing. Total cost £ 1,300 less £ 500 AA contribution, need some urgent guidance, surely this can’t be right.

trikey 1st July 2020 13:54

I’ve had many slaves fail and not had to replace the dmf, as a guide I charge around £500 to fit a new slave and two piece clutch

Muttley 1st July 2020 14:07

Forgive my ignorance, but:

Why the need to replace the Master cylinder if its the Slave cylinder that has failed?
Just asking.

Cheers, Muttley

Number 6 1st July 2020 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike523152 (Post 2822229)
Just had a call from the garage, cause of problem is the slave cylinder failing, consequence, DMF, master cylinder, clutch and slave cylinder all need replacing. Total cost £ 1,300 less £ 500 AA contribution, need some urgent guidance, surely this can’t be right.

First off I would ask to see the DMF and ask them to show you the tolerances in it. It is a very rare occurrence to have to change the DMF. ;)

Mike Noc 1st July 2020 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muttley (Post 2822234)
Forgive my ignorance, but:

Why the need to replace the Master cylinder if its the Slave cylinder that has failed?
Just asking.

Cheers, Muttley

Exactly. Just flush it through and bleed it to get rid of all the old fluid - before connecting it up to the new slave of course. :}

Mickyboy 1st July 2020 18:05

Completely agree with Mike, when I did the last one, the DMF was well within spec at 112k and I just flushed the system and there was no need for either a master or DMF.
Mick

marinabrian 1st July 2020 19:43

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike523152 (Post 2822229)

Hmm, ask the AA to recover the car to another garage ;)

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/a...1&d=1593629789

Highlighted is the Rover book time for renewing a diesel clutch assembly 5.40 hours, this is for a complete job.

DMF replacement, unlikely but not impossible, so that leaves a three part clutch kit, and a master cylinder

For example a three part kit HERE or a kit to include the flywheel HERE an example of a master cylinder HERE

You could look at it this way, let the garage charge you to replace the whole shooting match, or have it done at a more reasonable price elsewhere.

I can't help but think they don't want the job, or indeed more likely think as you are considering the AA insurance cover, simply bumping up the price.

Brian :D