The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   'Pattern parts' (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=196678)

Typhoon190 29th September 2014 19:15

'Pattern parts'

With genuine original parts drying up quickly, I've had numerous problems with 'pattern parts' being a poor fit, or being so badly replicated, it's impossible to fit them with out major modification.

Just an idea, but is it perhaps worth starting a list somewhere of specific parts / suppliers to avoid?

andy willi 29th September 2014 19:20

dont get me going on this at the moment

andy

jn12 29th September 2014 19:21

Here is a start, Xpart 'genuine' auto brake pedal rubbers. The latest dotted ones made in India start splitting after a month or so. Gone through dozens in the past, ended up just replacing at MOT time.

Solution is to source an original old stock crossed rubber version. I spotted one on ebay and paid £22! It has lasted over a year though :)

John

DMGRS 29th September 2014 19:22

I've seen a fair bit of this, I have a 'corner of shame' where bits I'm trialling have ended up because they're just so far out of spec it's untrue.
It's also the reason I'm now dealing with MG in China a lot, as everything from them has been as you'd expect on the production line, and as you'd want to fit to your own car.

Tensioners, belts, bulbs - you name it, I've probably tested one that's hilariously badly made. The problem is a lot of people will just sell it anyway.

Typhoon190 29th September 2014 19:29

It's very frustrating to buy any parts and have to replace them within the year due to poor quality, ( should technically be replaced under warranty, but not worth the hassle usually ).

What I can't understand is parts that don't fit in the first place. The term ' pattern part ' means the original has been replicated, but this couldn't be further from the truth in some instances. :mad:

Astraeus 29th September 2014 19:37

Absolutely

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoon190 (Post 1800068)
It's very frustrating to buy any parts and have to replace them within the year due to poor quality, ( should technically be replaced under warranty, but not worth the hassle usually ).

What I can't understand is parts that don't fit in the first place. The term ' pattern part ' means the original has been replicated, but this couldn't be further from the truth in some instances. :mad:

Totally agree

Stupidly bought a pattern part V6 thermostat and housing. Fitted it, put inlet manifolds, fuel rails etc back together with new gaskets and
Coolant piddling out of where seal is in the block hole. Not a good fit at all. Sent a replacement but frankly didn't want to fit so now gathering dust.
Got a genuine one from Howard's Garage. Best was it was not a really cheap pattern part!
You can imagine the language when I had to take it all apart again ....:mad:

Still, at keast it was obvious..

Chris

coab 29th September 2014 20:28

Is the Diesel engine available in China? Only so the major parts don't dry up.:eek:

FREDPLY 29th September 2014 20:39

'Pattern parts'

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoon190 (Post 1800043)
With genuine original parts drying up quickly, I've had numerous problems with 'pattern parts' being a poor fit, or being so badly replicated, it's impossible to fit them with out major modification.

Just an idea, but is it perhaps worth starting a list somewhere of specific parts / suppliers to avoid?

Start the list with euro parts drop links complete dog discharge!:devil::devil: fitted in may both on way out - Going to get some new ones off Matt soon:}

Typhoon190 29th September 2014 20:59

A few years back I had problems with rear brake pads.

Ferrodo, Halfords, and EBC greenstuff pads, all patterned incorrectly, with the outer pads being a different profile to the inner pads. Surprisingly, they 'rattled' around in the carrier. :twonk: EBC did acknowledge the problem, and sent out shims.

Latest was a replacement short handbrake cable http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=1345337

This is no reflection on the seller. They're service was superb. I bought that over the Firstline part, as I've never heard anything good about them, and I was sure Quinton Hazell parts were recommended.

This part was nothing like the original ( I finally discovered ), even before I lost my rag with it.

There was no way it would fit the lever assembly without cutting 25mm off the threaded stud. :mad:

MrDoodles 29th September 2014 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by coab (Post 1800146)
Is the Diesel engine available in China? Only so the major parts don't dry up.:eek:

The same engine was used in the Mk 1 Freelander Sean, so no danger of parts drying up any time soon. ;)

The engine also shares some parts with the pre-facelift E46 320d, but contrary to popular misconception, is NOT the same engine! ;)

As for pattern parts, "Buy cheap, buy twice!) ;)