The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Pollen filter change. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=262569)

RAY OF THE ROVERS 24th February 2017 12:17

Pollen filter change.

Now I know all this is an old issue, and has had plenty of threads,, most of which I have read. But I have just tried to get the ECU out of my 2003 cdti Connie tourer, and if I had hair I would have ripped it out. The wires leading to and from it are just not long enough to get it more than a few inches. Has anyone else had this problem?? I think the car was built around it not put in later. Any ideas would be gratefully welcome.

Avulon 24th February 2017 12:27

follow the cables towards the centre of the car. Youll find a large clip holding the two cables, this clip can be undone and the cables removed from it (don't try removing the clip from the bulkhead). This gives enough slack to lift the ECU out of the way. IIRC last time I did the pollen filter on mine I didn't move the ECU (at least not far - I may have just lifted it a bit), it's just a very complex 3 dimensional puzzle to get the filter out and new one in.

RAY OF THE ROVERS 24th February 2017 19:21

Cheers. Yes l know which clip you mean. I will try again on the next fine day. Is yours the diesel by the way?? It just seems very tight in there.

steve-45 24th February 2017 19:28

Changed mine at one of the Nano meets, was a bit easier as the ECU was removed for some mods.

It's still a tight fit, and cost me several layers of skin fitting the new one - beware there are some sharp objects down there ....

Arctic 24th February 2017 21:53

Diesel pollen filter change

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAY OF THE ROVERS (Post 2452845)
Cheers. Yes l know which clip you mean. I will try again on the next fine day. Is yours the diesel by the way?? It just seems very tight in there.

Hi Ray.
Click the link below it should help you, with respect to changing the diesel pollen filter enjoy Arctic ;)

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=170300

Kennyeth 25th February 2017 07:14

When replacing ECU do make sure the plug and socket are pushed together good.
I did not do that and ended up with non starting car :eek: which even puzzled the AA tech.:duh:
Ken.

Arctic 25th February 2017 08:17

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kennyeth (Post 2453035)
When replacing ECU do make sure the plug and socket are pushed together good.
I did not do that and ended up with non starting car :eek: which even puzzled the AA tech.:duh:
Ken.

Hi Kenny.
What plug & socket :shrug: there is no need to unplug anything from the ECU just lift it off it's brackets through the scuttle panel.

JoeMc 25th February 2017 08:27

If I can change one without breaking anything (look at my title on here <<< ) then anyone can ;)

As above, take all plastic off/away as best you can and slide the ECU and it's cradle up and out of the plenum and then swap the pollen filter over

My ECU's cable was tight, but I managed to work that clip loose in the plenum and it gave me a bit more room to play with etc...

Patience and a good torch is all you need :D

Kennyeth 25th February 2017 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2453060)
Hi Kenny.
What plug & socket :shrug: there is no need to unplug anything from the ECU just lift it off it's brackets through the scuttle panel.

Hey, there were a rather thick set of cables that ran across to top of the ECU,
I separated them thinking I could then lift the ECU out, it was when replacing them that I had not pushed them home enough to make the connection.
I seem to recall they ran across the top but may be mistaken on that, memory not as good as was a bit back :}
Ken.

Avulon 25th February 2017 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAY OF THE ROVERS (Post 2452845)

Yes, on the diesel It's extremely tight - without going through it again I can't be 100% that it can be done without removal (I've got a 1.8 as well and could be confused).