The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   I spoke to soon and disaster strikes (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=313827)

johnnyb44 29th June 2021 17:51

I spoke to soon and disaster strikes

Well i think i spoke to soon the other day when I was praising my car on here the other day. After getting the aircon repaired and a general service, it's gone down hill this week. Sunday a strange knocking noise has developed from the rear drivers side when i apply the brakes. No problems i thought, just wear and tare and it's in need of some bushes or something. Then this morning whilst setting off to work the air bag warning light comes on. Ahhhh another niggle to sort out i thought.
After work today i decided to have a look at the airbag connectors under the seat. I jiggled the connectors and gave them a clean and started the car with great anticipation of solving the problem. Nope still no luck.
Then number 3 problem reared its ugly head. A few moments after starting the engine, this horrendous rattle started coming from the engine. Its sounds like an old transit ice cream van. I've heard this noise before i thought 4 years back. I sounds suspiciously like the crank pulley. Pouring some water over the belt changed the noise somewhat, and revving the engine or putting it under load when driving definitely quietened it down. I also briefly switched the aircon on to which the noise changed. The local garage lads casted there eyes over it with one saying he thinks it could be the cam chain tensioner. Yikes i hope not.
So tomorrow there's no work for me due to lack of transport and it's a trip for my car to the garage for some investigations,,
Wish me luck

macafee2 29th June 2021 18:02

good luck :)

macafee2

Yorkshire GOC 29th June 2021 18:30

fingers crossed for you :}

dave lincs 29th June 2021 18:30

It wont be the cam chain seen these cars with 300k and never had chain problem, my money is on the crank pulley has failed

johnnyb44 29th June 2021 18:33

Those are the answers I like to hear Dave👍

johnnyb44 29th June 2021 18:53

I've just been watching some YouTube clips of failed crank pulleys on our cars and they sound uncannily similar to mine.
I've calmed down a bit now and starting to put things into perspective. When you get a few problems thrown at you at once, it can get a bit much to the point you say "stuff it" but after a few deep breaths i can work through all this and keep her alive for the future

WillyHeckaslike 29th June 2021 19:14

Looking at your location, North Wales, Jules I believe is in Conway and is often recommended by members for work on our cars when they have ruled out DIY.

trebor 29th June 2021 19:19

And don’t be tempted to buy a cheap crank pulley or you risk having to do the job twice , go for Corteco

johnnyb44 29th June 2021 19:23

I would take it to jules in a shot, but by the way its sounding, I'm feeling reluctant to just drive it down the road to the local garage tomorrow. It sounds horrendous and quite alarming. Jules is around 60 miles away and organising transport to get it towed over there would be a headache in sorting out.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
Always appreciated.

johnnyb44 29th June 2021 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor (Post 2888955)
And don’t be tempted to buy a cheap crank pulley or you risk having to do the job twice , go for Corteco

Absolutely trebor.
It's not just the cost of having to do the job twice, but it's the inconvenience of having the car off the road. I work in a rural part of the country where public transport is virtually non existent. I depend on my car as my daily transport to work,