The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Replacing front suspension arms and bushes (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=318671)

Robti 12th April 2022 11:53

Replacing front suspension arms and bushes

Hi ant tips for fitting the above before my delivery comes?
Thanks

SD1too 12th April 2022 11:55

Hi Robert,

You'll find loads of tips already on the forum if you search using your thread title.

Simon

trikey 12th April 2022 11:58

18mm flexi head ratchet spanner makes the job much nicer.

COLVERT 12th April 2022 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robti (Post 2928039)
Hi any tips for fitting the above before my delivery comes?
Thanks

Make sure the bushes can slide on the arms without too much trouble.

When fitting leave the ball joint at the bottom of the suspension disconnected.--The center large ball joint fit to the frame by a few turns of the nut.

Doing this will make it much, much easier to fit the two bolts to the bush housing into the chassis..[ You can move the arm all over the place.-)

If the bush housing is not flat to the chassis it can be turned slightly by inserting a bar ( small nail bar ) through the hole in the middle of the bush housing casting.----From under the car as the hole is hidden looking from the top.

I know all this from the experience--( learning curve :D ) from fitting both of mine.

PS. The bush housing MUST slide on the arm.--If you don't do that you'll find out the hard way why not.--:eek::eek::eek:

PPS The ball joint can be fitted to the bottom of the suspension leg last with a little bit of fiddling. ( Don't forget to put the pinch bolt in on reassembly. ) Which is often rusted and difficult to remove in the first place, but has to come out.

COLVERT 12th April 2022 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2928040)
Hi Robert,

You'll find loads of tips already on the forum if you search using your thread title.

Simon

HI Simon. My post is very comprehensive and makes the whole job quite easy.

Why let other folk struggle when you have an easy solution to their problem ??

That's what this forum is all about.

I know you had a bit of bother with yours.---;)

COLVERT 12th April 2022 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robti (Post 2928039)
Hi any tips for fitting the above before my delivery comes?
Thanks

Just remembered one last thing. Disconnect the ball joint on the end of the tie rod to give yourself some room to manoeuvre with the tie rod to one side.

Robti 12th April 2022 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2928040)
Hi Robert,

Simon

Thanks i posted after reading on the how to section to see if there was any new tips

Robti 12th April 2022 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2928041)
18mm flexi head ratchet spanner makes the job much nicer.

thanks got the one you linked to when i was removing the bushes

Robti 12th April 2022 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2928042)
Make sure the bushes can slide on the arms without too much trouble.

When fitting leave the ball joint at the bottom of the suspension disconnected.--The center large ball joint fit to the frame by a few turns of the nut.

Doing this will make it much, much easier to fit the two bolts to the bush housing into the chassis..[ You can move the arm all over the place.-)

If the bush housing is not flat to the chassis it can be turned slightly by inserting a bar ( small nail bar ) through the hole in the middle of the bush housing casting.----From under the car as the hole is hidden looking from the top.

I know all this from the experience--( learning curve :D ) from fitting both of mine.

PS. The bush housing MUST slide on the arm.--If you don't do that you'll find out the hard way why not.--:eek::eek::eek:

PPS The ball joint can be fitted to the bottom of the suspension leg last with a little bit of fiddling. ( Don't forget to put the pinch bolt in on reassembly. ) Which is often rusted and difficult to remove in the first place, but has to come out.

thanks it has all been removed and the replacement arms just arrived but so did the rain and as im working on the road side i will try again tomorrow. one thing fit the arm to the bush first and lube with fairy or a lube ?
Thanks

Costa Fortuna 12th April 2022 14:08

Washing up liquid works a treat.