The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technology Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Tablet vs laptop (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=153878)

lovema75 27th July 2013 17:44

Tablet vs laptop

What does the collective recon to this?

Are high end tablets, either Android or iPad, good enough to consider as the replacement for a laptop?

My main problem I can't see round is how to print from a tablet.

Avulon 27th July 2013 17:58

The answer to your question is no, a tablet (Android) or iPad (iOS) will not have the same processing and graphics power as a good (recent) laptop. You'd be better off asking if the tablet/iPad would be sufficient for your needs - a laptop might be more than you need (if you follow me).

If you don't need the processing power of the laptop then a tablet might be a good option - but an iPad can easily cost more than a more powerful laptop, and laptops are at bargain prices right now - everyone's buying tablets ;)

I've not taken the tablet plunge myself yet (still using laptop/desktop), so I can't comment on printing. The other thing I'd say is that I wouldn't fancy using a touch screen for typing something like this - it'd take an age.

TheBearUK 27th July 2013 18:38

As previous said assess your needs
You can print from Tablets and also with Android 4 share files across a network easily enough.
Most laptops are more than powerful enough for most people even if you buy the cheapest, just make sure your memory is over 4gig (most are now) and you dont have to worry about Vista any more :)
I've never been attracted to Brand names or price, and when asked nearly always advised people to get the cheapest as most only web browse and a little word processing. laptops get more expensive if you want long battery life or portability, but most people sit with them at home connected to a mains supply. Tablets tend to have a high battery life.
This is all just my opinion and although I work in IT i'd never claim to be an expert.

Parker 27th July 2013 19:33

Completely different pieces of kit, you can print from a tablet but their main function is Internet browsing, mail, calendars etc. whereas laptops are more software driven and processing database program's

Jakg 27th July 2013 19:41

A tablet won't replace a laptop, but they really are different things - a tablet is more of a media consumption device for use sitting on the sofa.

lovema75 27th July 2013 19:56

Well my uses are:

Web browsing
Online banking
YouTube
This site
Occasional printing of letters and emails
Lovefilm

My iPhone does just about all of these things except printing, and the screen is rather small, so a larger screen would be good.
The printing is my biggest issue - how do you do it from a tablet?
Can't see the point of a laptop anymore, don't even watch DVDs much now.

arodriguez 27th July 2013 20:32

I think the above posts pretty much sum up the differences. Tablets are great for couch surfing or watching movies and they come into their own when out and about or travelling abroad.

My tablet though will never replace my laptop. Word, Excel, Powerpoint and photo editing need the superior performance, screen size, mouse and keyboard that the laptop provides.

Jakg 27th July 2013 20:32

You can print from an iPhone or iPad with an AirPrint compatible printer...

For composing letters and emails I'd say a laptop would be a better bet...

pab 27th July 2013 20:45

iPad tethered to my iPhone is my weapon of choice for browsing while on the move, used as well at home.

Serious stuff, well the PC comes into it's own.