The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   2001 2.5 KV6 conn Time for a new thermostat,but which one? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=307609)

myrova 1st September 2020 10:14

2001 2.5 KV6 conn Time for a new thermostat,but which one?

Hi Folks
I like the sound of the metal ones but at four times the cost of plastic,its a bit pricey.
Of the plastic ones is it better to buy genuine or are aftermarket ones ok.
Ebay has D2P Autoparts version but there's only I yr warranty,

Any advice most welcome. Kind Regards Dan Gardner

dattrike 1st September 2020 11:54

If you are going to keep the car, fit the Kaiser metal one. It will outlast the car.
( I have one fitted to my 2 ltr )

Tracker 1st September 2020 12:31

Out of interest, Dattrike, what has been your experience of the metal thermostat? I've been told that while they are certainly an answer to the failure of the standard item, they do cause the engine to take longer to reach normal operating temperature. I quite like the quick warm-up so just wondered how you have found it; also, how long now have you have it fitted?

dattrike 1st September 2020 12:44

I find it warms up just as quick, though the running temperature is slightly lower. Mine runs between 89 and 95 on a hill. I'm happy with that. It's been on the car since end of July.
See here: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=304975

The other one I had fitted was on my 2.5 about 5 years ago.

SD1too 1st September 2020 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by myrova (Post 2834371)
Of the plastic ones is it better to buy genuine or are aftermarket ones ok.

Hi Dan,

If you can get a genuine thermostat housing with the Chinese modification of three supporting legs then I'd say that's the best buy. With the plastic systems, genuine or aftermarket, you shouldn't get any leakage from the 'O' rings if you set the serrated clips on the straight pipe fully outwards.

Simon

Bastelmann 2nd September 2020 02:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by dattrike (Post 2834403)
I find it warms up just as quick, though the running temperature is slightly lower. Mine runs between 89 and 95 on a hill.

Thatīs exactly what Iīve found. Plus the massive and virtually undestroyable solidity of the casting. There is nothing better than kaisers alloy thermostat I think.

xsport 4th September 2020 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bastelmann (Post 2834494)
Thatīs exactly what Iīve found. Plus the massive and virtually undestroyable solidity of the casting. There is nothing better than kaisers alloy thermostat I think.

mines been on now 4 yrs.never lost a drop of coolant . best thing i did. fit properly and forget . in the winter it does not make any difference either to the warm up or clearing the screen. she runs around 83 to 85. plenty warm enough in the cab. will keep the underbonnet temp down also in the summer. well pleased with mine. weighing up the costs of regular replacement of parts and labour it wont take long to recoup. just the peace of mind and reliability far outweighs the cost. unless you want to stay original ... go for it. :}

SD1too 5th September 2020 11:15

Kaiser vs. OEM thermostats

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsport (Post 2834899)
... she runs around 83 to 85.

Dan, just to compare that with the factory fitted thermostat which gives a running temperature ten degrees higher (normal for petrol engines in the UK climate).

Simon

xsport 5th September 2020 20:57

mine runs around these temperatures whilst on the move. after a good heatsoaking she will rise to 90 to 92 ish. at a standstill in heavy traffic she runs pretty much the same as the plastic original did. up to 104 ish fan on and back down to 95. yes your right simon it does run below optimum temp designed for the engine but seems to cope fine. however im on lpg anyway and i dont think the running temps etc would be the same as on petrol or maybe they would .... :shrug:

thanos.m 5th September 2020 21:36

I bought my thermostat from DMGRS standard plastic item about a month ago and mine seems to be running cool it runs around at around 84-85 and occasionally will reach 92 on heavy traffic the heater was hot on my last long trip but I did notice the air getting cooler as you get towards the passenger side so I don't know if I could recommend this one